Just got 2003 Explorer Sport Trac, What should I do?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got 2003 Explorer Sport Trac, What should I do??

firefly1246

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 EB
Hello everyone,

The Good: I just got my father-n-laws 2003 explorer sport trac XLT 4x2 230k. It is red with the 2 tone black/gray interior. It was garage kept, with mostly highway miles, and meticulously maintained. It is a southern car its entire life and zero rust (underside is practically brand new looking). Paint looks brand new, and nearly new Michelin LTX tires, recent brakes, engine runs great.

The Bad: The transmission is toast

Other than the transmission and the worn out foam in the steering wheel (leather is great), the vehicle is in perfect shape.

I currently have a 04 explorer v8 4x4 Eddie Bauer (my DD), a 03 mustang v6 (wifes DD), a 05 corvette (my fun car), and a 90 Jag XJS Convert (my project car).
I have always thought the ST was a great balance in size, practicality etc, and I love the deep red color and 2 tone interior.

Question is what should I do with it? I have ruled out putting a rebuilt or new tranny as they are a min $1,400. Ford quoted us $3700 for a rebuilt ford tranny.

Options:

1) Put a low mileage used tranny in it and sell it. How much is it worth?
2) Sell it as it is? How much is it worth?
3) Keep it and put a used tranny in it.
4) Keep it and swap in a 4x4 tranny and convert to 4x4. Cost approx $500 to $900 more. I would do the tranny, transfer case, electronics, and rear driveshaft as step 1. Then I would swap over the front diff, driveshaft, knuckles, and brake rotors.
5) Do 4x4 swap and sell it.
6) Keep it and buy a 5.0 explorer to swap a 5.0 engine and tranny. Lots more time involved in doing this project.
7) Do the 5.0 swap and sell it. How much is a 5.0 swapped ST worth? Lots of time invested, and I don't get to benefit from all the work.
8)What other ideas do you have?

Thanks a bunch,

Scott from SC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd swap in a boneyard tranny and sell it. Converting to 4WD is too much hassle and work unless you really need another project. Same with converting to V8, unless you have the engine, trans, ECM, etc. all ready on hand with no other use for them.

If you really want a V8 4WD Sport Trac, use the sale proceeds to buy one.

So I have decided I am going to put in a used transmission and sell the vehicle. Although I really like the truck and would love to keep it, I already have enough vehicles and a project car I am working on.

So I have decided I am going to put in a used transmission and sell the vehicle. Although I really like the truck and would love to keep it, I already have enough vehicles and a project car I am working on.

FYI there was a Sport Trac at LKQ recently when I was looking at their inventory. Not sure if it still is or not though, or if it even had a trans still in it.

It must not be there anymore. I went to the Greenville and Greer ones and they had 2 door sports in the correct year but they had all 200k+ and none of them were wrecked so I didn't want to waste my time and take a chance. I ended up paying a little more and got a 165k mileage one out of a wrecked 2 door sport that had perfect red fluids and a 6 month warranty which was already pulled from the LKQ in Duncan. This location is not a pull your own parts place but has parts already removed parts from what appears to be better co condition and newer vehicles.

Back