Just got new explorer, fluid change?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got new explorer, fluid change??

Silverlimit06

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited 4.6
Hey gang

Just got a 2006 Explorer Limited 4.6 4x4 (My first Ford ever) with 142,000 miles on it from a family member. The Explorer was well taken care and have a stack of paperwork. Wondering about the trans fluid and filter. There is no service records and the ford dealer has no record of it. Some say if the trans fluid hasn't been changed by now I shouldn't touch it lol Any thoughts? I found service records for the rear end and front diff but nothing for trans or transfer case fluids. Everything else on it is great except for the need for new tires which I'll start researching soon. Any thoughts about the trans fluid/filter and transfer case fluid would be great. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Similar boat for me. New to me '06. I've read countless differing opinions, same as you have. The way I see, if it starts leaking after a fluid change, your gaskets were going bad anyway. I'd rather replace a few gaskets than a transmission or have a full-on rebuild.

Silver. You can't properly maintain 1/2 of a drivetrain. The trans needs to be serviced and if the transfer case has seen lots of use in 4x4 conditions, then it needs fluid change also.
If you don't have any warranty and are not able or confident in doing the work yourself, then the best option is to have someone who is reliable and capable of the work. My advice would be to have a Ford dealer that you have confidence in do a pan drop and filter change. Your 6R60 trans takes Mercon SP only. Not Mercon V or LV. Type SP only. (And not some other snakeoil)
Just my opinion. Proceed at your own risk.

Thanks Bill I think I'm going to take the chance and do the trans fluid, filter and transfer case fluid. I can only imagine what the fluid will look like. Good tip on the trans fluid as well.

I have had good luck after pan drop and filling with Mercon LV on my 06 4.6L (6R60). That was over 15K miles ago and transmission works now better than it did with original Mercon SP.

Since you have to drop the pan to change the fluid anyhow, make sure you change the filter while you are in there.

Your welcome ^_^

Back