just need a quick overlook for the lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just need a quick overlook for the lift

Equnoxe

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Exploder EB Edition
After a few nice offroad tests i decided to lift the X, so far its just going to be 3" BL, 2"TT front, some 31 mudders i found at work (scrapyard) what im stuck on is the rear.

im going to fab up some shackles for the rear, im just wondering how long i should make them to level out the truck or at least make the rear a little higher.

i have a lot of weight in the back as it is and it sags a little now. i was thinking of taking the stock shackle length and adding 4 inches to that to it to make it level... (IE stock is 7.25, so ill make the new ones 11.25)

does that sound like the right length??

or should i just add some leafs?

kind of lost

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would suggest going with these the 2" lift shackles made by warrior products from www.desertrat.com. shackle cost-69.95. they will level out the rear just fine.

Search here in the forum for DIY shackles, there are cad drawings with all measurements

i was just concerned that the 2" shackles from desertrat wouldn't actually give you 2 true inches of lift.

and yes that was what i was planning on doing if i decided to build them :)

Roughly, its 1" of lift for every 2" extra length between the bolt holes...

War-153's are 3" longer than stock.. so its actually 1.5" lift...

Stock length is 5.5".. 8.5" is about the max I feel comfortable running, but there are some that are running 9.5" long shackles to get a true 2" of rear lift from them..

Also, keep in mind.. the amount of lift might be just a hair less since that is actualy based off the shackles being at a 90 degree angle, which it isn't.. (its actually 85 or so).

~Mark

I agree with Mark here, the shackles don't sit at a 95 degree angle. If you run shackles without a center support that limits the travel they are more like a 70 degree angle. I've been using the generic Autozone shackles and they are just fine. I believe they are ruffly 10-12 inches long and gave me pretty close to 2 inches in the rear. @ $16 they cost me just as much as it would for me to buy the steel and bolts to make my own, then I'd have to do some cutting and welding.

i was just concerned that the 2" shackles from desertrat wouldn't actually give you 2 true inches of lift.

and yes that was what i was planning on doing if i decided to build them :)

huh that's weird... it reposed for some reason, OK thx ill just go buy the shackles

with 2" body lift and 2" tt/shackles i fit 33's. looks way better than 31's. and if you ever go really big, you won't want that 3" body lift.

If you do a 3" BL, you'll regret dumping money on 31's.

22646DSC05326.jpg

Back