just replaced rtr/brks/brngs..should i worry about my grease seals? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just replaced rtr/brks/brngs..should i worry about my grease seals?

shlompyboy

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
93' XLT 4X4
well i just replaced my pads/rotors and bearings for the first time..granted it was a learning experience (for a silly boy like me)..for all those out there who have never done it before, and have no one to consult about it(bsidez here..a.k.a in real life), let me put it this way..it took me the better part of a day to take one wheel apart, but only an hour to do the next one on and off..once you've done it once..it's a breeze..and i'm pretty stupid when i comes to cars (i just couldn't justify the $700 qoute, and glad i didn't! cost me $150 total!) :) )..anywayz here's my question..while putting new grease seals on the inside part of the rotor, i kinda accidentaly hammered on the "inside plastic/metal part ring" of the seal {there are 2}->(giving me a pretty uneaven grease seal surface)..is this somethin i should worry about??..is all the grease gonna leak out, or am i just being paranoid/?..much apprecieted...

p.s just wanted to add sumtin i couldn't find via search here..the cams were a ***** to get back on..both times it took me holding, while my girlfriend hammered with a srewdriver opppisate to get them on..hope is helps..peace

jeremy :) ..

For peace of mind I would replace the damaged seals and now that you know how it should not take to long. I always use a large socket or tube to push the seals in with. All the best.

i use a piece of a 2x4 that is about a 2" square...then place it on top and hammer that... it evenly distributes the weight and also the 2x4 deforms ratherthan the seal should i hit it wierd or whatever

Back