Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4

My name is Justin, I'm from Roseburg, Oregon. I've owned my 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 since about 2004. I bought it from my good friends at Solo Motorsports in Covina, California. I've driven the heck out of it ever since and needless to say, had a lot of fun with it.

I had a new 4.0L installed a year or so ago at around 192,000. A short time later I replaced the A4LD also. I have a little over 500 miles on both at this point. I work out of the country so I don't get to drive it a whole lot right now.

The engine/drivetrain is all stock with the exception of a KKM filter set-up and a red top Optima battery. The front suspension has Solo Motorsports 4 inch over 4x4 beams and radius arms, Eibach coil springs, and Fox resi shocks. The rear has Deaver springs, Solo Motorsports shackles, and Fox resi shocks.

When I bought it she had 33x10.50/15 BFG MT's on stock Explorer wheels. I replaced them with some 285/75/16 Big O's for a while, but really didn't like them as much so I've since switched back to a 33x10.50/15 BFG's. Again on stock Explorer rims, powder coated 55% black, this time AT's. The AT's are much more street friendly IMO.

I'm having a few minor repairs done right now (fuel gauge stopped working, HVAC blower only works on high, driver's side electric window motor is really slow, etc). I have purchased almost everything I need to fix the interior up except a carpet kit. Future plans include adding a coil-over and bump stops to the front end, different shocks/mounts out back, rear fiberglass, a larger roof rack, and a paint job.

I am contemplating adding a winch too (I have an extra Warn HS9500 laying in my garage), I'm just not sure yet.

Here are a few pics as it sits right now-

HPIM3913.jpg

HPIM3912.jpg

HPIM3911.jpg

HPIM3914.jpg

I really enjoy the website, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like someone got new rims and tires compared to the older picks looks good hope to see you cruising around the trails some time. Keep it up man.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

looks like someone got new rims and tires compared to the older picks looks good hope to see you cruising around the trails some time. Keep it up man.

Yeah, it had some tired BFG MT's on stock X wheels when I bought it, then I ran some metric Big O's for a while, and now finally I went back to a BFG, AT's this time. The wheels are stock X wheels powder coated 55% black (basically semi-gloss).

I might bump up to 35's down the road, I'm really not sure yet?????

If you are getting It regeared then why not. Right? Wait till those tires are tore up and wore out and put some 35's on it if they fit. The front looks like they will fit but the back looks like it has a little sag. Cheap easy fix- Add-a-leaf and then the 35's wil fit in the rear too.

Yeah, we'll see. They're brand new so they'll stay for now. Your right, it is sagging a bit, it's from basically being used like a pickup truck and from towing my Rhino around. The rear leafs are Deavers, so more than likely I'll have the packs rebuilt they next time I take it down to SoCal.

Well my wife just picked up my Explorer from my mechanic. He fixed everything on the list and a couple other things he spotted as well. He said it drives great, my wife even noticed it was way different. 4.56's really did the trick I guess! Now I just can't wait to get home and drive it myself.

O yea if you have been driving around with 33s and stock gears,4.56 will wake the whole truck up!!i would have went 4.88 especially if your thinking 35s down the road.i had 4.88 and 33 and LOVED it! Never fear the gear!!

I thought about 4.88's, but decided to stick with 4.56's because I'll probably end up just sticking with my 33 x 10.50's. I've never had any issues with that tire size and they'll get me through any of the places I take my Explorer. If I need more tire, I probably shouldn't take it there.

Thought you had 12.50 yea 4.56 will be perfect for you.you drive it yet?

Nice x man, digin the front fenders dont think I have seen that style before.

I'm workin overseas also, so I know what your goin threw, its drivin me nuts not beein able to just jump in the x and go.

Thanks, 40 days man, 40 days! I can't wait to drive it with the new gears. As long as I've had it, I was always going to re-gear it and never did. Now that I've finally had it done it should feel like a whole new rig.

Well I made it home the day before yesterday and driving my X with it's new gears was awesome. Feels like a completely different rig!

Here's a quick pic up on a new road my step-father was building. I sure had fun running my Explorer around while I was home, now it's back to work again.

photo1-1.jpg

Thats a sweet X man. If you don't mind me askin, how much were the beams? I want to get extended beams and I've heard from people that you can't extend 4x4 beams but apparently you proved 'em wrong.

Back