Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4

My name is Justin, I'm from Roseburg, Oregon. I've owned my 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 since about 2004. I bought it from my good friends at Solo Motorsports in Covina, California. I've driven the heck out of it ever since and needless to say, had a lot of fun with it.

I had a new 4.0L installed a year or so ago at around 192,000. A short time later I replaced the A4LD also. I have a little over 500 miles on both at this point. I work out of the country so I don't get to drive it a whole lot right now.

The engine/drivetrain is all stock with the exception of a KKM filter set-up and a red top Optima battery. The front suspension has Solo Motorsports 4 inch over 4x4 beams and radius arms, Eibach coil springs, and Fox resi shocks. The rear has Deaver springs, Solo Motorsports shackles, and Fox resi shocks.

When I bought it she had 33x10.50/15 BFG MT's on stock Explorer wheels. I replaced them with some 285/75/16 Big O's for a while, but really didn't like them as much so I've since switched back to a 33x10.50/15 BFG's. Again on stock Explorer rims, powder coated 55% black, this time AT's. The AT's are much more street friendly IMO.

I'm having a few minor repairs done right now (fuel gauge stopped working, HVAC blower only works on high, driver's side electric window motor is really slow, etc). I have purchased almost everything I need to fix the interior up except a carpet kit. Future plans include adding a coil-over and bump stops to the front end, different shocks/mounts out back, rear fiberglass, a larger roof rack, and a paint job.

I am contemplating adding a winch too (I have an extra Warn HS9500 laying in my garage), I'm just not sure yet.

Here are a few pics as it sits right now-

HPIM3913.jpg

HPIM3912.jpg

HPIM3911.jpg

HPIM3914.jpg

I really enjoy the website, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The interior is starting to come together. The seats and center console armrest are re-upholstered, the headliner was re-done, the carpet cleaned and everything else detailed. Here's some pics-

7-18-2012e.jpg

7-18-2012d.jpg

7-18-2012c.jpg

7-17-2012.jpg

The bad part is, I keep my Explorer really clean, but you wouldn't think so from the look of that water. I knew the carpet was nasty from years of abuse, but that surprised me! Dirt, sand, kids, dogs, soda, food- yukk! LOL

Are those your stock front seats?they look good,whole truck looks good:)i carpet clean my carpets about every month and i swear it comes out looking like tar/swamp water every time.

Thanks! Yes, the front seats are stock, everything in the interior is stock.

I had all the seats (and center armrest) re-upholstered with a dark brownish tweed on top and a buckskin (pretty close to stock) vinyl on the sides and back. We figured the darker tweed would not show dirt as bad.

The upholstery guy not only made any repairs needed to the seat foam, but he also made sure the seat frames and any adjustment mechanisms were all cleaned up and working properly as well.

Thanks! Yes, the front seats are stock, everything in the interior is stock.

I had all the seats (and center armrest) re-upholstered with a dark brownish tweed on top and a buckskin (pretty close to stock) vinyl on the sides and back. We figured the darker tweed would not show dirt as bad.

The upholstery guy not only made any repiars needed to the seat foam, but he also made sure the seat frames and any adjustment mechanisms were all cleaned up and working properly as well.
Yea looks good.they look way more comfortable than my seats,i gota get mine done soon:(

Here's some build pics of the roof rack/light rack assembly, hopefully I'll get some of it completely finished in the next few days.

7-20-2012.jpg

7-20-2012a.jpg

7-20-2012b.jpg

7-24-2012a.jpg

7-24-2012b.jpg

I guess my red paint wasn't the only one faded in multiple locations. My only drawback was it looked like someone painted the hood with a paint brush.

I took care of it all with flat black, after the 3rd different body color.
Red body, brown and tan doors, 94 limited green bumper... flat black looks a lot better.

It will all be red again one day.

I think it was originally dark green. I probably already mentioned it, but I'm getting away from the red, it'll be bright white when it's all done.

Here's a couple more pics of the roof rack/light rack and a couple of the rock sliders. The rock sliders will get treadplate on top just like the bumpers when they're finished.

Roof rack/light rack-
7-24-2012f.jpg

7-24-2012g.jpg

Rock sliders-
7-25-2012a.jpg

7-25-2012b.jpg

Not a dumb question at all. They use all of the stock roof rack mounting points and then add two more "nutzerts" on the front side, so I beleive there will be five mounting points per side, ten total. When it's all said and done each mointing point will have a rubber gasket underneath it as well.

Here's one pic that kinda shows it. I'll try to get Bob to take a close up of one so you can see exactly what they look like.

7-24-2012d.jpg

Here's one they did several years ago on another Explorer, basically the same thing.

p1010015.jpg

Ahh, well, considering I already had the light rack and HIDs and I made some changes to the origonal design, probably about $1,000-$1,200 when it's all said and done.

Well worth it not to have to put dirty tires and other bulky items inside anymore, especially after having the interior cleaned and repaired.

Back