• Register Today It's free!

K&N air filters

99fordEB

Reaction score
City, State
Surprise, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Anyone have any experience with K&N air filters? Just wondering if they do what they claim they do or is it just a bunch of BS? I'm sure you don't have to clean them until every 50,000 mi. or so but any truth to the increase HP or gas mileage? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in my ranger, it came with the k&n in the stock air box...i get great gas milage and as much horsepower as the 2.3 can get...in my f-250's, stock in the airbox i noticed in passing gear they are sucking alot of air and gas....but on long hauls they seem good as in power on my big trucks and i get 1 more mpg....all in all i like them and they are re-usable, a plus in my book...as for in the future i am looking for a k&n with its own airbox that takes in fresh air from behind the headlight...right now, in my ranger, the stock airbox sucks the air in from between the fenders and splash guard, no real fresh air...if i don't get better mph and power, i'll revert back.

I had the K&N filter in my stock air box and I did notice a slight difference. My truck felt "lighter" when driving uphills. I just upgraded and got the K&N Air Intake Kit and that helped even more. I've notice a slight gain in MPG. Pretty good in the long run.

The K & N drop in filter will do almost nothing, however, the cone filter is great.

The K & N drop in filter will do almost nothing, however, the cone filter is great.

except buy you some time since you almost never need to change it.

K&N filters across the board are well worth their money, but as Al said the drop in's do little to pep up your Ex.

I looked at the K&N drop in filter with a different approach than some people. My reason for buying it was the fact that you can wash it and reuse it rather than throwing it away. I'm saving money by doing that, and if I gain some power or efficiency at the same time then great. I kind of like keeping the stock air box because it is pretty safe at preventing water ingestion whereas cone filters don't usually have any sort of shield to block splashing water from hitting it. If your looking at building HP then you might want to install a cone filter and duct it into the fender or grill, but in a way that will avoid direct contact with water. I really doubt that I gained HP with my drop in K&N filter.

Anyone have any experience with K&N air filters? Just wondering if they do what they claim they do or is it just a bunch of BS? I'm sure you don't have to clean them until every 50,000 mi. or so but any truth to the increase HP or gas mileage? thanks.

You'll pry have to clean it well before the 50,000 mile.

In my Toyota Paseo, I have a K&N drop-in. One thing I did notice when I lived in Phoenix, is that my MPG dropped from 40 to 30 when it was really time to clean it.

Indeed, the long-term cost savings far outweigh the supposed performance gains reported on the box.

From a simple mathematical standpoint, if the OEM filter costs $10, and the K&N costs $50, plus a $10 recharge kit, and you optimistically change the OEM filter every 15,000 miles, after 90,000 miles, your K&N filter has paid for itself. If you would normally change your paper filter every 6000 miles like I used to, the K&N makes even more sense, paying itself off after 36,000 miles.

Mine's been in for close to 85,000 miles now. Here's what it looked like after 48,000 miles of not being cleaned:
653153.jpg

:)

FWIW, I noticed no difference in performance or mileage after cleaning. That tells me that even while dirty, it was still not significantly restricting airflow.

-Joe

OK - question - are any of you getting 'surging' problems on acceleration ? I've heard from a Ford Mech that the filter oil gets on the MAF and causes bad problems. I think that might be one of my problems...and I just wanted some other info/opinions from you all using them.

Indeed, the long-term cost savings far outweigh the supposed performance gains reported on the box.

From a simple mathematical standpoint, if the OEM filter costs $10, and the K&N costs $50, plus a $10 recharge kit, and you optimistically change the OEM filter every 15,000 miles, after 90,000 miles, your K&N filter has paid for itself. If you would normally change your paper filter every 6000 miles like I used to, the K&N makes even more sense, paying itself off after 36,000 miles...

-Joe

I couldn't find a paper filter for less than $35 around here, and this K&N was $45 so That was my excuse to buy it...

OK - question - are any of you getting 'surging' problems on acceleration ? I've heard from a Ford Mech that the filter oil gets on the MAF and causes bad problems. I think that might be one of my problems...and I just wanted some other info/opinions from you all using them.

Yes I have heard of that problem. An overly oily filter can and will cause problems.

Step one dont too heavily. Step two, if you are able let the fresh oiled filter sit for a few days.

Yes I have heard of that problem. An overly oily filter can and will cause problems.

Step one dont too heavily. Step two, if you are able let the fresh oiled filter sit for a few days.

I think the same thing happened to me. I just cleaned my air filter and a couple days later, when I step on the gas a little, the truck "shakes". My idle is a little rough too. Can I clean the MAF, and if so, whith what and how???? Thanks guys!

On my windstar (yes, I can only 'reliably' keep fords on the road) I just show some carb cleaner at the MAF and then blew air from my compressor at it to dry it out quick.

I dunno how it runs overall....but I did take it for a short spin and the idle quality is ALOT smoother, but then again I did a plug change too.

I'll tear into the Xploder today and do the same as I did to the van and hope that fixes it. I did replace the air filter with a paper one though. So I'll see how this goes and then POSSIBLY put the K&N back on after a good cleaning....

I have a cylinder filter with the stock tubing, and i love it. I get alittle better response and MPG, not alot tho, but it does give the motor a really throaty sound in the cab. I enjoy it alot. I plan on buying a whole system from them or whoever has the best prices. I would recomend them greatly.

I installed the K&N FIPK on my EB tonight, and I have to say that it gets up and goes like it never did before, a quick cleaning of the TB did not hurt either. I was going to go for a drop in, but I was able to find one on ebay for $75 shipped. But now seeing what it has done for my Explorer, I would have spent the 250 if i had to do it again. :thumbsup:

Back