K&N air filter

GeorgeR

Reaction score
City, State
SE FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Ok, I just got a new K&N air intake filter for my '96 5.0 X
The question is, do I oil it or run it dry??
I've heard both ways.
It seems that a dry filter would be better for mpg, but an oiled filter would be more effective as far as filtration is concerned.
What say you EXPLORER experts?
I'm still trying to get used to EFI etc after 25 years of straight 6 carbureted Bronco.
Thanks
GR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The new filter should be pre-oiled from the factory.

When you clean it and re-oil it, watch out how much filter oil you use, since it might cause problems.

The oiled filter debate has gone on for years. In my opinion, as a professional technician, I see more harm than good from their use. It could be mainly from misuse or lack of maintenance, but I can buy lots of quality air filters for the cost of a K&N.

JMHO

It could be mainly from misuse or lack of maintenance, but I can buy lots of quality air filters for the cost of a K&N.
JMHO

:scratch:

K&N drop-in cost about the same as three or four paper filters...?

Well, the new one smells like it has been oiled, but the old one that is in the truck is soaked pretty well (actually damp with oil) I think its a purolator or something similar. Could be that's why my mpg is so poor. But it runs pretty well. I just bought the K&N online for $32/free shipping. It's guaranteed for 10 years or a million miles.

Well, the new one smells like it has been oiled, but the old one that is in the truck is soaked pretty well (actually damp with oil) I think its a purolator or something similar. Could be that's why my mpg is so poor. But it runs pretty well. I just bought the K&N online for $32/free shipping. It's guaranteed for 10 years or a million miles.

But what does that warranty cover? Engine damage due to grit getting past the filter? Hey, I know this is a popular item, just trying to relate my experience with them. Many of the ones I have seen don't fit properly, so will allow dirt and dust to get by the filter. I also see a huge lack of maintenance on many, which is not the filters fault when it is caked with grease and grime from neglect.

We have seen major turbo damage. especially on Powerstroke diesel engines, the dirt allowed past the filter just destroys the turbo. Again, a lot of this problem is maintenance of the filter per the manufacturer.

Yours should look like this color...

K&N-Filter-Cleaning-Guide-12.jpg

This is one after cleaning, before the re-oiling...

K&N-Filter-Cleaning-Guide-09.jpg

I think that one is supposed to use a grease when installing this filter and that will seal around the flange and prevent "stuff" from getting by the filter. As you said, maintenance, or lack thereof is probably the biggest culprit.

My experience with K&N is that they're too oily, right out of the box. I scored one a while, removed the oil and then re-oiled myself (using the "newspaper technique" to wick off excess oil). I don't think they're designed to be run without oil so I wouldn't run them dry. The one cloth/oil filter I did like was made by "Green". The cloth itself seems higher quality and I wasn't even sure it was oiled because they didn't lay it on too thick. I used that for a while before I went with Amsoil (as below).

I recommend Dead Link Removed. No oil required. You just clean them with a shop vac periodically.

I think that one is supposed to use a grease when installing this filter and that will seal around the flange and prevent "stuff" from getting by the filter. As you said, maintenance, or lack thereof is probably the biggest culprit.

I've never heard of the grease method. A good hose clamp is more than adequate. I've never had an issue with dirt getting past the flange and I've used two different intake kits with a variety of different filters (MAC's filter, the AFE filter that comes with Volant, two different K&N, one by Green and last and certainly not least, Amsoil).

It is pre-oiled. But compared to the filter that's in the truck it is dry. That one is blue and seems to be in good shape, just lots of oil.
At any rate, I will probably change it and clean the MAF sensor this weekend and then see how she runs. Hopefully an increase in mpg for xmas!
Merry christmas to all, and thanks for the info.
GR

I have heard reports of the oil on the K&N filters getting on the MAF but I don't know myself, don't have any firsthand experience with it. I was going to buy one until I started hearing that.

Mine's been in place for nearly 100,000 miles with no ill effects. I cleaned it once at 100,000 miles (50k on the filter). K&N filters are designed to be run oiled. I would not run them dry as they will let too much particulate through.

Even with the cost of the filter, it's paid for itself twice over in the time I've had it.

-Joe

Hi George, K&N's are a great product!! Sounds like the one in your vehicle has been WAY over oiled. Your new K&N is ready for installation right out of the box! They usually will include a rubber/foam gasket to istall on either the lid of your air box or the box itself to make up for any imperfections on the air box unit that may let dirty air get by. I have been using them 4 ever with out any ill affects, & only a huge plus in performance. Use their cleaning solution as directed & go easy when you re-oil it. Do NOT go 50,000 miles before cleaning it! Depending on where you live, attend to it as you would a regular paper filter, just don't throw it away.........clean it & re-oil it. I live in Vegas, where it is very dry & dusty. I clean my K&N's, in all 3 of my vehicles, about every 4-5 thousand miles due to the high dust content.

No sweat at all!! :thumbsup:

how often should i clean and reoil my k&n filter...whats the best way to clean it...

how often should i clean and reoil my k&n filter...whats the best way to clean it...

Naturally the cleaner you keep your air filter, the better your vehicle will run. 7,000 miles is a good time to clean it. I go sooner due to a dry dusty climate here in Vegas. You can check it periodicaly & see how it looks. While you take it out to check it, with the dirty side facing down, tap it on the ground a few times to get out larger pieces of dirt & debris. K&N makes a cleaning solution that works great. Just follow the directions on the bottle. The can of K&N oil will tell you how to oil your filter. Go back & forth, like you are sray painting when you apply it. ;)

I have had a few K&N's in the various vehicles I've had and never had a problem with it getting on the maf or any other sensor, granted I didn't dump a can of oil into 1 filter which I think is were people get a lot of their problems. Just follow the directions on the cans and you'll be fine. K&N's take a long time to even out since you have to buy the filter $50 ish, then a cleaning kit $12 ish. Average paper filter is what $15? I've always bought K&N. So you get 2 - 3 cleanings out of the cleaner with the kit. The oil can lasts far longer. And I would never wait 50k miles between cleaning, that's the neglect that BTexpress was talking about. There isn't a filter on your vehicle that should stay in place, uncleaned or otherwise, that long. I would think 10k is the longest you would push anything. Trans, oil, air, cabin would be good for longer then 10k I suppose. 10k being just for the air filter. I checked my K&N's everytime I opened the hood and would clean them every other oil change when running dino, so every 6k miles In New Hampshire and Mass. Here in AZ it would be more.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting anyone go 50k between cleanings of their K&N, I was simple stating what I had done. Air filter life, as with any wearable part, depends on the amount of use it sees and the conditions it sees while in use. In the mainly freeway driving to and from work I do daily, my 50,000 mile filter may pick up the same level of contaminants as someone on the desert does in 10k. Not all usage is the same.

However, with that in mind, I checked the K&N web site. I figure, they designed them, they should have a recommendation. Here's what they have to say (accent added):

4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

Apparently, so long as the screen is still visible, it does not require cleaning. At 50K, min e was still visible, but the filter was pretty nasty, so I cleaned it regardless of their recommendation.

Regardless, clean it as seldom or as often as you see fit, or as necessary based on your driving conditions. That's the joy of owning one of the best and most efficient air filters on the market.

Also, a tip when re-oiling: The longer you can let the oil disperse after re-oiling, the less likely it is to suck the oil off the filter and contaminate the MAF sensor. When done properly per their instructions, I have yet to have a problem on either vehicle.

-Joe

I found this link. This guy has done some research on air filters. I read thru the studies and they suggest that changing or cleaning too often is actually bad. One of the studies found that a layer of "dust cake" forms on air filters after use and helps to stop smaller dust particles. Changing or cleaning too often would reduce the filtration efficiency.
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id5.html

He concludes that K&N oiled type filters allow more dust thru, and not as much air as they claim. There is an article about the use of nanofibers in the dry element type reusable filters (Amsoil EaA) that rates their efficiency better, at filtering and airflow. Read for yourself and decide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to toss in my two cents worth, I'd like to say I have over 306,000 miles on my '93 xlt, and have run a panel type K&N in the stock air box for at least 250,000 miles. Have had NO problems with anything. Period. I do believe in the product, and feel if combined with a high flowing exhaust there is an overall benefit. Just follow the instructions!
In closing, I feel my truck has lasted as long as it has due to the increased flow in and out of the system as a whole. Simply stated, my truck breaths easier, and better than stock. Plus, it just plain sounds GOOOOD!!

Back