K&n cai

MENINBLK

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer Premier
Has any 20060-2010 Mountaineer V8 owners installed the K&N FIPK 57-2573 intake?
I know the Explorer and the Mountaineer 4.6L V8 look identical under the hood
and this will probably fit perfectly, but I wanted to put it out there
and get some feedback before I drop $300 on this CAI.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have it on my 07 ST 4.6
just a heads up, it doesnt really do anything, but your engine will sound better

It's supposed to add 11 HP as K&N tested.

I installed it on my Marauder and it ads almost 20 HP.

I will put down $$$$ that the the hp added is negligible. There are plenty of youtube mythbuster videos out there were they have vehicles on dynos and test different bolt on parts.

Ditto 07LTDDSM. Small gains only shown above 2900+ RPM.
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-2573_dyno.pdf

Forget any MPG improvements, especially driving at that speed.

Dead Link Removed

I love how the dyno chart shows a loss off the line..... most of these kits cause a lean condition up high from added airflow... and not many people are going to remap the AR ratio just for an intake

Is it just me but the torque curve shape doesn't look at all normal for the 4.6L engine...The peak torque should be around 4000 RPM. (And measured torque results around 200 when engine supposed to make over 300 at stock seems to indicate excessive drivetrain losses?)

Is it just me but the torque curve shape doesn't look at all normal for the 4.6L engine...The peak torque should be around 4000 RPM. (And measured torque results around 200 when engine supposed to make over 300 at stock seems to indicate excessive drivetrain losses?)

with such a heavy truck and 4wd its pretty expected that you could have a 30% parasitic loss

I dont think there should be a loss. You shouldn't be sucking in hot engine air when driving. It did SEEM like the 4.6 can breath better, but its mainly just for that throatier sound when you go WOT.

I have the FIPK in my 08 Explorer...and all my vehicles for that matter. See my last post on the short circuit it was causing. Other than that anomaly, K&N (and other CAI systems) have been proven to improve air flow. Will this get you more power or fuel economy? That seems to be a hot debate. Anything that improves airflow is probably a good thing. My motivation for using K&N filters is the reusable filter vs. having to buy a paper filter every so often. They can get quite expensive and the K&N will probably pay for itself over the life of the vehicle.

So far as fitment, you may want to check the K&N site. Let me know if you need a pic of in in the 08 Explorer. I would assume it will fit based on the relationship of these vehicles and there is really no hard mounting points...it just connects to the throttle body and sits on the air box mount.

Aftermarket intakes can improve the performance but sometimes the actual gain is negligible unless you do other mods like new exhaust and headers.

M.i.b.

It's supposed to add 11 HP as K&N tested.

I installed it on my Marauder and it ads almost 20 HP.

LOL long time no hear, good to see you still have that Marauder.

03silverstreak said that and I'm stepping down...

Back