K&N Intake, Explorer vs. Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N Intake, Explorer vs. Mountaineer

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
My father in law is looking for a K&N Intake for his 2007 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8. He put a Banks Intake on his motorhome, and we have a K&N on the Explorer he gave to us, so he is serious about getting it.

I went to the K&N Website, and looked up the 2007 Mountaineer 4.6L V8, and it only brought back a Drop-in filter, and an Oil Filter. But when you do a search for the Explorer....It brings back the same Oil and Drop-in Filters, as well as 2 different FIPK's. The 57 series, which is the Black ABS tube, and the 77 series which is a Polished Aluminum tube. Interestingly enough, the ABS model gave 11hp, where as the better looking Aluminum one only gave 10hp. I DO realize that 1hp is NOTHING, and it can easitly be equated to humidity, outside temp, and/or the 1-3% accuracy rating that a dyno is certified with.

I know the Explorer and the Mountaineer are the SAME vehicle. But are there any differences in the engine bay from one to the other?

Can I get some engine bay shots of a Mountaineer vs. Explorer for the 2007 model year?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seriously guys....NOBODY can help me on this?

Ryan

I'd believe it to be a listing error before I thought the two engine bays have any difference at all. You should be fine ordering the explorer one.

I think the "Nocturnal Perf" Intake will work...
I'll have to look and see!

Bump. I ned to know this, as well. Can anybody shed some light?

I have heard that the diff between the two is that the heat shield provided with the fipk wont fit with the merc because the merc has an extra sensor. Dont know if its true or not. If its the case, I'm sure the heat shield could be modified to fit, or a new heat shiled could be made/bought. I would love to get confirmation so I can just get one to complete my more power/mpg mission. Already have the Magnaflow ordered.

Back