• Register Today It's free!

K+N cleaning...

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Well i think it is time to clean my filter because it had mud etc stuck in it. I dont really feel like buying the oil and cleaner from K+N to do it either. I was thinking Woolite and Mineral oil...anyone have any experience cleaning these without buying what i figure is needless K+N fluff (for a bad filter anyways)...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just clean mine with water. It works well and who knows what other chemicals will effect your MAF.

the filter oil that comes with the kit reads:

Cleaning the k&n filter before re-oiling:
lightly brush off surface dirt with a soft bristle brush. spray on k&n cleaner (or any good detergent soap) let filter soak for 10 minutes. revers flush with plain water. (inside out, that is). shake off naturally. re-oil with k&n air filter oil. do not clean with gas, solvents, steam or caustic (lye) coeaners. do not use high pressure air to clean or dry filter.

if it says it on their product, it must be true =/ it also heeds a warning: never use a k&n air filter without oil. im not sure what they used for oil, but you might want to look into that.

-EDIT-
it also says: never use ATF, motor oil, diesel fuel, WD-40, LPS, or other light weight oils.

yeh i saw the directions...i havent checked the price on their reoil kit or whatever but i have a feeling its pricey and just a way for them to make more $$$...i know that the oil is mineral oil BASED and i suspect that the cleaner is non solvent/acidic...kinda like woolite so that is what i was figurin on trying and just seeing if anyone else has decided to use stuff around the house instead of laying down more money for a filter that was too damn expensive anyways

I believe the cleaning kit is about $10 and has last me atleast 3 cleanings and I use a little more cleaner than most would and I still have plenty left. I'd get it.

I spoke to a rep from a popular air cleaner manufactuer, they told me that Dawn dish detergent works great as a cleaner. Also to use Marvels Mystery oil as the oiling agent. Thats how she cleans her filter and hasnt had a problem.

I'm gonna give it a try and see how it works.

great thanks for the feedback...i will look into both when i head to the store later

Back