• Register Today It's free!

K&N intake kit for 1997 5.0 Liter

Jester1994

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Sport
I just installed a K&N air intake kit in my 97 5.0 Liter V8 X. I wanted to know from anyone else who installed this, how you mounted it in the engine, I may have gotten the wrong kit. Also, did they send you a new plastic hose to connect it to the engine? Just wondering why I can't mount mine to metal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

out of curiousity... did your 5.0 have the stock cylindrical filter?
apparently, K&Ns FIPK for our 5.0s is technically only for those that came with the stock cylindrical filter..
still haven't figured out what the difference is between the stock cylinder and square filters is tho... :confused:

Filter shape

I didn't know that until I ordered and tried to install the new filter unit. I called when installing it because the brackets don't reach, since I didn't have the stock cylindrical filter. I improvised and used just one bolt to the radiator bolt, instead of using two to the frame of the truck, since it didn't reach. Worked fine.

any clues if it's still considered "smog legal" that way?

Smog legal

Whatr do you mean by smog legal? The K&N filter passes emissions tests. This fits fine, it is just bolted to a different part of the metal frome of the truck than it would be.

the reason I ask is this:
That part was not used on the listed application, therefore they COULD consider it NOT smog legal..
that's why I was asking..
but I don't know what the differences are between the stock square and cylindrical filters/housings, or what year it changed.. so maybe the IM station will see the CARB # and say it's okay...

I hope that makes sense... :confused:

Back