Kaczman's Sport Trac Finished Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kaczman's Sport Trac Finished Thread

I see the recommended rim width is 8.5"-11". Im planning on getting new 17x9s. Do you guys think ill need a spacer, or should I change the offset alittle bit?

Also, can you help me find some pictures of STs with 35"s, 17"s, TT, Shackles, and a BL? I only found 4 so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since I have shackles and TT, will I need to do any trimming for the 35s if I add a BL?

Oh yes, most definitely. Nothing cosmetic, though, especially since I'm imagining you won't be off pavement much. Most of my trimming has come from finding where I get rub in different situations off road.

I see the recommended rim width is 8.5"-11". Im planning on getting new 17x9s. Do you guys think ill need a spacer, or should I change the offset alittle bit?

DO NOT USE A SPACER ON THE FRONT! 17x8s will work and are actually better, IMO, for a 12.5" wide tire. Mine are 17x8 with 4.25" backspacing. That backspacing is probably at the maximum you want to use. It seems about perfect to me, though, and some were saying it was .5" too much. I had to cut some inside cladding, but nothing cosmetic.

I haven't put my front sway bar back on, but I figure that is where it would rub if it's going to...and it probably would. Still debating on whether I really need (actually if my wife really needs) the sway bar on there. I kinda like not having it. Gotta get some limiting straps, though. I'll decide on the sway bar when I get the skid plate marked up.

As for spacers on the rear. I have them. 1.5". The 8.8 is strong. Not worried. It pushes the tires about even and let me get away with very little trimming in the rear. I haven't removed the rear sway bar and seen full flex, yet, but I know there's more trimming going to be necessary back there. If you're all street, you probably wouldn't need to trim at all in the rear if you have spacers.

But again, DO NOT PUT SPACERS ON THE FRONT! These wheels/tires are very heavy. The IFS cannot handle the extra stress of spacers. Some argue they can't handle 35s at all.

Also, can you help me find some pictures of STs with 35"s, 17"s, TT, Shackles, and a BL? I only found 4 so far.

Here's John with that setup.
41072002031701.jpg

41072002062401.jpg

Here's TxPlates with only a body lift. No TT, no shackles.
IMG_1439.jpg

More of mine to come soon.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you wanted 17" wheels in those pictures also. Those are 15" wheels. Where did you find STs with 35s on 17s?

Go on cardomain, there's a bunch on there.

I always forget about CarDomain for some reason. They really need to update their website. It was cool and innovative 10 years ago. I'm going to hop over there and see what's going on.

Cool. Is there any way to run these wheels without spacers? Right now I have a 1" spacer for the edge wheels I have on the truck now, but thats because the edge wheels I have on it are a much higher offset.

Are people using the spacers to clear the control arms?

What is the factory offset for our vehicle?

i would love to see what your truck would look like with your setup now with the 32's in addition of the body lift.

Cool. Is there any way to run these wheels without spacers? Right now I have a 1" spacer for the edge wheels I have on the truck now, but thats because the edge wheels I have on it are a much higher offset.

Are people using the spacers to clear the control arms?

What is the factory offset for our vehicle?

Yeah. As long as your backspacing isn't too deep. I was told 4.25" was too much, but it just obviously wasn't tried before. 4" seems to be the sweet spot with 3.75" being popular, although that'll push the wheels out further and is, IMO, why so much trimming has been necessary for people putting 33s on.

Spacers won't be necessary, front or rear, and with 35s are an absolute no-no on the front. You'll clear the control arms just fine, especially with 17" wheels. You may have some rubbing on the sway bar, though. I don't know for sure because mine is removed, but without spacers, my 32s rubbed the sway bar a little. That and the fact that the rear wheels are tucked in tight are the reason I got spacers in the first place.

I don't remember the factory offset off the top of my head but it should be listed in the '01-'05 FAQ thread.

im looking at a set of ATX Ledge for my trac in 16's. according to tirerack it says it will fit. 16x8. 4.48 backspacing but 0 offset. the offset plays a big role too

Backspacing and offset are basically two ways to talk about the same exact thing.

Backspacing is more important, though. If you have a 8" wide wheel with 4" backspacing, that's 0 offset. That wheel would be fine. If you have a 10" wide wheel with 5" backspacing, therefore still 0 offset, you've got problems. A backspacing of 4" on that 10" wide wheel would have a negative offset, but would be fine. Backspacing works regardless of wheel width. Offset makes you consider the wheel width more and makes the process more confusing than need be.

How do I calculate backspacing? is it based or wheels or tires?

It's based on wheels.

Here's a pretty good explanation. There's others posted in the wheels/tires subforum, too. Even a sticky. This one gets right down to the important info, though.

you should get some 17" FX4 Ranger wheels, if they make them in that size.. those would look great with the mud grapplers.

These wheels are similar if not the same with 35" Mud Grapplers. you would just have to get the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern, but I'm pretty sure those are 17"s right there.
IMG_0595.jpg

nice sport trac

you should get some 17" FX4 Ranger wheels, if they make them in that size.. those would look great with the mud grapplers.

These wheels are similar if not the same with 35" Mud Grapplers. you would just have to get the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern, but I'm pretty sure those are 17"s right there.
IMG_0595.jpg

you could just use explorer eddie bauer/ limited rims

edit: your passenger side headrest is on backwards, lol

Do you think I could fit 35x12.50x17 inch mud terrains on my edge 17x7.5 wheels I have now? I have 1" spacers on them as well. Or should I go to a wider wheel?

12.5 is a little wide for 7.5 and usually 8" is considered the lowest but it's not an absolute science. Many here may say no way. A spacer combined with the independent front suspension with 35s is a no way. You won't find any sympathizers on this board for that. I think you'd do better to get 17x8 with an appropriate backspacing.

Yeah, you need a wider wheel if you wanna go with a 12.50 wide tire. Some people might say it could be done witha 7.5" width but you run the risk of the tire popping off the bead, especially with aluminum wheels. It'd be even more dangerous with a 35" tall tire. JMO.

Thanks for your two guys' input. you are the true knowledge base of this forum.

If I find a 17x9 wheel, with approx a 4" backspacing, would I only need a 1.5" spacer for the rear?

Is there any way to avoid spacers all together?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you get 17x8 or 9 with 4" b.s. you won't need spacers. You couldn't run them on the front with the 35's.

Back