karma got me when i said "100,000 and still truckin along" HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

karma got me when i said "100,000 and still truckin along" HELP!

dennit469

Reaction score
City, State
aiken, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport 4.0L v6 SOHC
well i just had the engine rebuilt, its a 98 4.0 v6 sohc, when i got it back all was fine, but theres was something with the transmission ive never had before, when taking off with a half way lead(going onto interstate and such) foot the trans would like slip out of gear and rpms would take hike, needless to say i take my foot off the gas and rpms go down then you feel/hear a clank and its back in gear, shifting is smooth, no problems taking off, anyway today i was headed out for school and my house is at the bottem of a slight hill so i know its hard on a cold engine but like most mornings im in a rush and had a lead foot, the trans did the slip out of gear thing and this time didnt clank back in, i pulled over, put in reverse to back out of a drive way, and now in reverse its like if you were to hold a clutch half way in, both in reverse and overdrive. dont get me wrong it will move but its like its slipping terrible, so i rolled back down to my drive way and put it in 1st gear, started to go and its like nothing was wrong, out it in second and it like nothing was wrong either, so this morning i drove out in second gear and not exceeding 45 mph due to the rpms being at 3500, whats wrong? it works in 1st and second but its like the clutch isnt releasing all the way for reverse and overdrive, there was never any smells of trans buring and no oil then got spit out, the oil doesnt smell burnt either. anyone have a clue?

edit: i just hit 100,000 this past weekend and now im at 100,239

fluid/filter change on the transmission recently?
made sure it's got plenty of fluid?

Back