KC Daylighters and Ranger Electrical System Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KC Daylighters and Ranger Electrical System Question

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
This question is intended for Ranger X or anyone else running KC Daylighters on their Ranger. I plan on purchasing 2 sets, but I have a few questions to ask...

Can you tell me if your KC Daylighters (Black) are rusting at all due to your living near the coast? How long have you had these lights? Are the black Daylighters comparable in quality to the Stainless Steel Daylighters?

Is your Ranger's stock electrical system up to the task of powering these lights all night if necessary?

Thanks for the info!

-Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ken, i doubt the electrical system can leave on any high drain device all night..... unless the engine is running.....

Your elec system can run 4 lights but you'll need a relay.

I have the Chormies and they rusted after a yr. I have now painted them black.

I wired four kc's to my high beams thru a 30amp relay. Worked great.

Good luck.

Jim,

I would plan on running these lights only while I was actually driving. I sometimes run the stereo for an hour at a time, but I'll run the engine a few minutes to recharge the Optima battery...

I haven't noticed any rust, though I haven't looked all that close at 'em. They are a couple years old.

Jim,

Any pictures of your Explorer since you built it back up from your rollover?

-Ken

:cool:
Not sure if you have purchased your DayLighters yet but I will answer anyway.

I live on the North East Coast of Mass and purchased the S/S Daylighter. I sandblasted them and had them power coasted black.
I ran them for eight year that way without any corrosion showing.
Thornbird33 has them now and we will see.

Buy S/S leave them as is and polish often or paint but prep the metal before painting.

Luck,

I had the KCs (Black) installed on Sunday night, and although both sets did not work initially, I fixed the ground problem, aimed the lights, and now I'm pretty damn proud of my setup. My bright lights pale in comparison to the four KCs I have mounted above my cab on the Carr Lightbar. Massive light, a Ranger on steroids look, and a $350 pricetag to boot! This is one mod my Desert-dwelling Ranger was long overdue for!

-Ken

Back