Which to get? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which to get?

KC HiLites Daylighter Driving Lights System

http://www.autoanything.com/lights/65A3225A0A0.aspx

KC HiLites SlimLite Series Lights System

http://www.autoanything.com/lights/65A3219A0A0.aspx

Napa has both of these, I decided against the Hella's, they only have the 530's and they're rectangle... =\ which would look odd on the westin safari bar I'm going to get.. Plus I've read that the KC's are a lot brighter and better quality, more durable.

Which would be best for fog and seeing farther down the road in clear night conditions?

I'm kinda leanin toward the slimlights, they're slimmer (obviously) and look better, and have a nice "grill" cover... what do you guys think? anyone have any experience with these?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMHO either will work, both are designed for different mounting locations.
If you have a tight fit on space behind the lights then the Slim Line will work, if there is plenty of room, I like the full-depth housing; you decide on fit and looks.

I like the KC look and have used the 150 Watt 6" Day Lighters on a few vehicles.
One reson I changed on my last set of lights is that steel housings will rust overtime. I found all of my steel housings rusted at the mounting points where the mounting bolt goes through the housing.
I had a set of the S/S Housings and painted them black, they worked out great, no rust and my lastest are Warn w/composite housings and should be OK, if they don't work harden and crack.

Luck on the choice.

This is lame, looking at those three different products for the slim lights.... I can't seem to remember which one exactly napa was carrying... and their website is a total joke when it comes to looking for something..

What's with the smiley covers on the full size lights? Are they supposed to be taken off everytime you want to use the lights? Forget that.. too much hassle... it's like -40 out right now.. I like the convenience of a switch =) man.. this is gonna be a b*tch to install... no heated garage (or any garage actually) .. i'm gonna die..

back on topic.. anyone else have any experience with these lights?..
also, Sandy .. could you expand on your comment about how they're designed to be mounted in different spots? once again, it'll be installed on a westin safari bar.. which has the lights at the bumper..

This is lame, looking at those three different products for the slim lights.... I can't seem to remember which one exactly napa was carrying... and their website is a total joke when it comes to looking for something...

Go to another site to buy the lights, NAPA gets way too much for their products.

What's with the smiley covers on the full size lights? Are they supposed to be taken off everytime you want to use the lights? Forget that.. too much hassle... it's like -40 out right now.. I like the convenience of a switch =) man.. this is gonna be a b*tch to install... no heated garage (or any garage actually) .. i'm gonna die....

The covers need to be removed, I am not sure but the covers may melt if not removed.
Also, some states require Off-Road Lighting to be covered while on the street, depends how you want to do it.

back on topic.. anyone else have any experience with these lights?..
also, Sandy .. could you expand on your comment about how they're designed to be mounted in different spots? once again, it'll be installed on a westin safari bar.. which has the lights at the bumper..

Sorry for the confusion... what I meant is the slim line lights fit better when mounted on the Windshield Frame, the Full-Depth Housing will have more interference. Mounting the Lighting on the Brush Guard should allow use of either type because there is a lot of room between the Grille and the Guard.
That is all... either will work for you on the Brush Gaurd your call on the looks.
IMHO... KC designed the Slim-Line of Lights to allow theirs lights to be used in tight places.

I'm not ordering off the site, it's down the road. I think they were $225+ =\

Most of the time, if you find a good deal online for something... add shipping to Alaska and it's just as much locally or more. Pretty rediculous and fustrating.. I can't seem to find what kind of lights will work with the slim lights.. If I get the ones that have the 100w, I might want to try the 130w's with the blue tint...

Anyone have any experience with these? Do they fit well on the Westin Safari bar?

How exactly are they mounted? What size holes are on the Safari Bar and what size is the bolt on these lights? (They have a bolt, right?.. I don't know how exactly these mount.. I've never messed around with any auxilary lighting)

For the slim lights, which should I get? What's the difference? They all look identical.

i guess mine r the slims? if u need some pics of the side i can get them... i used to have some different fog lights with some pretty weird lenses... they had too many pieces in it to reflect around the light... these KCs have clear lenses and make two big spot lights... pretty good stuff... if u need pics of it up against a wall or anything ill do what u need to make ur purchase

2456765_62_full.jpg

Nice Explorer dude... I love the brush guard.. I want one so bad, but they're just so damn expensive.. So I'm going with the Push Bar.. Anyways...

Some shots of them on with your lows and highs down a long road would be nice.
Checked Napa, they are indeed the long range/off-road lights with the 130w. Is that the one you have?

Also, how much did you pay?

Nice Explorer dude... I love the brush guard.. I want one so bad, but they're just so damn expensive.. So I'm going with the Push Bar.. Anyways...

Some shots of them on with your lows and highs down a long road would be nice.
Checked Napa, they are indeed the long range/off-road lights with the 130w. Is that the one you have?

Also, how much did you pay?

if u want a good grille guard, go to dealsofsteel.com... i got mine for 259 with free shipping... good deal

im not sure what wattage it is but i believe my dad payed like 150ish? they used to be on our yamaha rhino and i swapped them for my old ones... ill get some shots down the road... little foggy tonite though

IMHO... the KC Slim Lines are great lights, S/S Housings, if available, would be nice but $$$.

I didn't notice Alaska, WOW... shipping must $uck the wallet dry.

Try looking around, some sites have free shipping, usually continental US but some include Alaska and the other state not on the main land.

I can image the Brush Guard would cost more to ship it than what it cost; too bad Dude.

The difference between the 100 and the 130 watt lights is noticeable but in the small housings of the Slim Line Lights the higher wattage may mean shorter life for the Bulbs, so think twice, do you really need the 130 watt lights.

Just thinking out loud, good luck on the buy and make sure, if you build your own harness, to always use relays for wiring the power to the lights.

They come with the 130w, they only have the Long Range/Off-Road kit with the titanium finish, which comes with the 130w Ice Blue Halogen bulbs. Seeing as how KC made this kit with the 130w's, I don't think it would be a problem?

Man... Shipping is killer.. Perhaps You could send me a Brush Guard for a 2nd gen.. =)

The site dealsofsteel, doesn't even have Explorer as an option. Unless you used Ranger, Regular Cab.

bigapple, where'd you go? Anymore pictures? How do you think these would look on my 98xlt? Could someone photoshop these on? I love the look of them on a brush guard, but I'm not going to get a brush guard at this point..

bigapple, where'd you go? Anymore pictures? How do you think these would look on my 98xlt? Could someone photoshop these on? I love the look of them on a brush guard, but I'm not going to get a brush guard at this point..

my apologies... been busy lately... i can try to take some pics on sunday cuz i have an event to attend tomorrow nite and will be tied up partyin... i think theyll look good on ur explorer and u should be pleased

Back