KC Light Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KC Light Question

Ok, I was planning on mounting 4 5x7 kc lights on top of my rig. 1st question is, I want to save money so can I mount them on my front luggage rack bar instead of buying a lightbar, if so, someone that's done it, got any info? Next, how did you hide the wire down to the cab? Also, which type of 5x7 kc light would be best considering mostly off road use only and the best value too. It's that money thing again. Any pics, threads, or stories would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Several people have used the rack for lights. I'm not sure but I think Mattadams had 4 on his at one point. As for the wire....theres several way's to do this. The cleanest way is to drill a small hole in the roof and run the wires through it. Seal it with some silicone and you're off. I'm guessing you could run the wires through the door jam, but that may cut the wire. As for the prices and lights....do a search on the site. Check out "piaa group plan" we are tring to get a group rate for some Piaa lights.

vcmudder, at one point like Leebo said I had 4 PIAA 80's on my stock roof rack, I'm pretty sure a few others have done it to. PROS: You don't have to buy a lightbar, you don't have to do any additional installation, and it looks fairly stock. CONS: The plastic is not that great, you have to get a big ass washer underneath and over each light so you don't squish the plastic together too much. Also, there is very little available room to run wiring, so it will look like you have lots of wires up there (with the conferr rack or a carr light barr, you can run the wires underneath or behind so you don't even see them). The stock roof rack also makes it difficult to aim the lights, and keep them aimed exactly, because of the fact that you can't get them torqued down as far as they should be. It is also not the most stable thing in the world to have several hundred dollars worth of lights mounted to :).

I hope that helps a bit. By the way, if your looking to decide on what KC's to get, you may want to ask Mr. Daylighter, he's the KC man.

Well maybe I can help. I have two 5x7 100 watt Long range KC's. They are the brightest 5x7 that KC offers. They are 167,000 candle power each. The KC 6x9 is 100 watt and 191,000 candle power, and the brightest rectangular light they offer. The 5x7's are pretty good, and I plan on getting some 5x7 fog lights soon. Here is some pics:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

I got the 5x7's here in town for $89.95. That is pretty much the basic price that I have seen. For more info, check out www.kchilites.com And while you are there, check out my truck, it's finally on their web page:)

The price I saw on kclights.com was like 99 bucks or more for the long range. But if other places have them for 89 I could probably pay that. How would you compare the flood version to long range and fog. I know I only want 5x7 so that narrows the choices down a little.

I have two more questions on mounting-What do the shapes of the roof racks have to be in to mount the lights (i.e. round, flat) and second, how much are custom racks to mount the lights to? Thanks

You're looking at a tag of about $100 for just a light bar or about $200 for a new roof rack. Most of the racks have flat tabs welded onto the rack with a circle drilled in the middle. Some also just have the circle drilled right in the rack

Go with the Long Range

I think the 5x7's in the Long Range are your best bet for what you are lookin for. I really don't know much about the flood lights, but the fog lights are good. I plan on some for Christmas, the black chrome, part #1558. But am also lookin into the all season kit #738, which comes with driving lenses, fog lenses, and flood lenses. I saw this kit at a off-road shop for $50 and I think that is a good price. I'm sure KC is high on them but with my discount I will get them for cheaper. The Long Range are good, pretty bright. They do project up to 1 1/2 miles. Good luck.

ok patrick, why the hell would a huge limo like that need KC off-road lights? LOL Glad to see that over 80% of the vehicles shown are FOrd's :). I recognized two of the F-150's on there... pretty cool, PIAA doesn't want mine on the web page... they think I'm too bright, LOL.

Roof Rack???

So if I have some round roof racks, I would not be able to mount lights to it? I would have to buy a different roof rack or a light rack? Thanks

You would need to weld some light tabs to it. Any 4x4 shop can do it for you. About $5 for the tabs and most of the time the weld is on them.

That is for a aftermarket rack. I'm guessing that's what you meant???

The racks are just from some yakima ski racks actually, so I am not sure that those would work. I thought they were roof racks, but they are just the bars for ski racks. Those won't work will they? Thanks

Back