• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob Sensitivity

dvdswan

Reaction score
City, State
SEATTLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ST 4WD Premium
Ok, this is a really off the wall question.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of a Key Fob button?

I've set the panic button off about a half dozen times in the last month. It's getting pretty annoying. I don't think it has anything to do with the panic itself. Just the button. I don't know if the button is sticking out further than the lock/unlock buttons. It hasn't gone off in my pocket yet so that's good. But grabbing out of my pocket has done it, holding in my hand has done it. If it keeps up, I'm going to disable the button all together.

Any ideas?

Ok, this is a really off the wall question.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of a Key Fob button?

I've set the panic button off about a half dozen times in the last month. It's getting pretty annoying. I don't think it has anything to do with the panic itself. Just the button. I don't know if the button is sticking out further than the lock/unlock buttons. It hasn't gone off in my pocket yet so that's good. But grabbing out of my pocket has done it, holding in my hand has done it. If it keeps up, I'm going to disable the button all together.

Any ideas?

Other than disabling it I do not believe there is any way to make it less sensitive.

If it's one of those rubber mat type buttons, you could trim the top off the button with a razor blade to make it harder to depress, or superglue an O-ring around it to make it have a deeper recess.

There might be other creative things to try but I have never heard of anyone trying them. If it has a mechanical switch behind the button then you could cut out a piece of dense foam to put around that switch (with a hole in the middle for the switch) so it takes more force to press it in, or search an electronics supplier for a replacement switch that is either shorter and/or has a higher activation force needed, then you just desolder the original switch and swap in the new one.

If it is a mechanical switch (opposed to a rubber dome with a carbon coating on the back that makes the circuit through circuit board traces directly), another option might be to cut out that button entirely, leaving a hole there in the rubber membrane that it's a part of, and in its place, put a thin piece of plastic like the cover from a school notebook, so you really have to poke into the hole in the casing to push it in far enough to activate the switch.

Any of these mods, I would try first on a replacement fob rather than your original... think you can get them for about $14 a two pack on amazon, ebay, etc.

Back