Dislike the 2016 Key Fob Design? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dislike the 2016 Key Fob Design?

scoutexplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT AWD
I dislike the 2016 key FOB owing to the daily occurrence of inadvertently pressing the panic button. The design of the button (shape, size, location) is such that it sets off th alarm easily. I never had that issue with my 2014 Ford Escape or other cars FOBS before the Explorer. It's not about pressing it with fingers; it goes off in my pocket when other items are next to it and the same when I extract it from the storage bin in front of the shifter. If the button was more recessed and located further from the bottom edge it would decrease this from happening.

The current design is a royal PITA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if the 2016 fob is any different than previous model years but here is a 4 page thread on key fob covers;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314052&highlight=key+fob+covers

BTW, I wear jeans 99% of the time and carry the fob in the small 'watch pocket' and have never triggered any of the buttons accidently. The fob is kept there all the time. You could also be triggering the other buttons but only the alarm will give you an audible notice.

Peter

Welcome to key fobs in general. You can set off the alarm with any of them. Trust me, I know this. ;) Peter's method is a good one if you only have the fob and no key. I have both and always carry in a pocket that will remain loose and non-binding. Works fairly well. :salute:

You could take the remote apart and remove the little button for the panic function if you really were that desperate.

I have mine attached to a keychain hook and clipped to the belt loop of my pants.
This keeps it out of the way and in hands reach (belt loop past the pocket).

Fellas, thanks for the replies. I checked out the covers and none are designed for the 2016 version.

I'll need to be more diligent about where I have it on my person and will have to remove most of the keys on the ring it's attached to. I'm not going to take it apart to remove the button. But, this is the first Ford key fob I have owned where this has happened with almost daily regularity. I believe the design is flawed and hope Ford redesigns it to be more user friendly.

Fellas, thanks for the replies. I checked out the covers and none are designed for the 2016 version.

I'll need to be more diligent about where I have it on my person and will have to remove most of the keys on the ring it's attached to. I'm not going to take it apart to remove the button. But, this is the first Ford key fob I have owned where this has happened with almost daily regularity. I believe the design is flawed and hope Ford redesigns it to be more user friendly.

Same remote the fusion has been using for a few years. Search by that.

I leave the key in the truck, and just use the keyless entry key pad. Yeah, I know, maybe not the safest, but that's what insurance is for. And if someone wants to steal it, they are going to steal it no matter what. It's not like there are a ton of Ford Explorer thefts going on by a ring of bandits.

I leave the key in the truck, and just use the keyless entry key pad. Yeah, I know, maybe not the safest, but that's what insurance is for. And if someone wants to steal it, they are going to steal it no matter what. It's not like there are a ton of Ford Explorer thefts going on by a ring of bandits.

Because the keys are inside, it requires you to "force" lock with the keypad, but you can still unlock the doors by the handles?

I have my Sport since June now and I didn't hit the panic button on accident once. I have it on my key chain with other keys, sometimes in my purse, sometimes in my jeans pocket and sometimes in my jacket.
I don't think a design is "flawed" just because one person has problems with it.

I have my Sport since June now and I didn't hit the panic button on accident once. I have it on my key chain with other keys, sometimes in my purse, sometimes in my jeans pocket and sometimes in my jacket.
I don't think a design is "flawed" just because one person has problems with it.

I'm happy for you and you're entitled to your opinion. Don't knock my experience or the conclusion I arrived at on the basis of that experience.

I always keep my car key separate from other keys. That way if I lose one set, I don't lose all my keys.

We have these new fobs with the new Ford Taurus we bought for the company fleet. They struck me as being large, and unusual looking.

I liked the design with the fob built into the key, like on our 2012 Ford Fusion.

A picture of these new 2016 fobs would be nice so the rest of us know what exactly we are referring to.

Peter

A picture of these new 2016 fobs would be nice so the rest of us know what exactly we are referring to.

Peter

I can take pictures on Monday when I go back to work if no one else does by then. They have an actual key hidden inside of them, which is probably why they are so big.

Posted pics in post #22

I'm happy for you and you're entitled to your opinion. Don't knock my experience or the conclusion I arrived at on the basis of that experience.

You're not alone my friend. I set my alarm of on my 16 explorer sport the very first day with the fob in my coat pocket. My wife set off the alarm while up on the second floor of her building at work. There defiantly is a design or sensibility issue with this fob.

peterk9;3482564]A picture of these new 2016 fobs would be nice so the rest of us know what exactly we are referring to.

Peter[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this will work[/QUOTE]Okay, I see what you're talking about. The design has changed and although the buttons on the previous flat fobs were slightly recessed, it appears the buttons on the new ones are actually set on top of a curved fob. This appears to be set up to be a problem.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive had a few cars with the smart keys 08 Highlander, 10 Acura TL, 15 Outlander, 16 explorer XLT and I've never hit the button by mistake on any of them. The outlander does have a separate huge stick for just the auto start that has a lock button so u don't turn it on by mistake. I do have to say that the explorers smart key is huge compared to other cars nowadays there's no reason to have a remote this huge especially since unlike all the cars I mentioned before there is no integrated emergency key inside the fob itself. I almost leased an RX and they actually have a smart key credit card that's the size of a card and as thick as 4 credit cards, it has an emergency key in it so you put in your wallet and never ever think about a key ever again. That would be awesome.

Back