Reaction score
City, State
millville p.a
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
i have 1994 ford explorer an
i got a keyless entry off of ebay (just the button) here is what they wrote me

1. Turn ignition to RUN or ACC.

2. Momentarily jump pins in programming connector located in LR quarter panel area (Connector will not be plugged
into anything, it will have two pins inside it, if you have to unlug it you have the WRONG one. Not all vehicles
are set up from factory for keyless remotes) All doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode.

3. Press any button on first keyless remote. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

4. If programming a second keyless remote, press any button on second keyless remote.
Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

5. Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

but i cant find it does anybody know a easyer way thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a Limited, or is it a lower model (XL,XLT,Eddie Bauer)?

Keyless was only available from the factory on 1st Gens in the Limited trim. It uses a completely different body harness since it's integrated with everything.

Keyless was only available from the factory on 1st Gens in the Limited trim. It uses a completely different body harness since it's integrated with everything.

This statement is incorrect. Mine has a stock keyless entry system and is an eddie bauer

There is a dealer add-on system that you probably have. It uses the same key fob, but the module is not in the same place and it is not wired the same way. It's probably under the dash somewhere.

The factory system on the Limited has two modules, one for the doors and the other is anti-theft. It also has a battery saver function for the interior and underhood lights and the sensors in the doors that disable the alarm if you open the door with the key.

The wiring for all this was only present on the Limited models and as such was not availiable on any of the other trim levels...

The wiring for all this was only present on the Limited models and as such was not availiable on any of the other trim levels...

Its true that the Limited has its own harness. I own a Limited and I just checked the factory EVTM for it. It is wired for the anti-theft/ keyless entry.

BUT, the factory EVTM lists it for the limited AND the electronic group. So it may have been optional on other models.

Just a little side note--I also found that it has no connector for the clutch switch (since no Limited came with a stick).

I've never seen it or heard of it on any of the other models. Hmmm.... I'd love for someone provide actual evidence (pic of the modules that are obviously factory) of the keyless in a non-limited trim.

I cant help you there, I've got a Limited w/ keyless entry. All I got to go bye is the Ford EVTM, and I never trust a book 100%.

There is a dealer add-on system that you probably have. It uses the same key fob, but the module is not in the same place and it is not wired the same way. It's probably under the dash somewhere.

The factory system on the Limited has two modules, one for the doors and the other is anti-theft. It also has a battery saver function for the interior and underhood lights and the sensors in the doors that disable the alarm if you open the door with the key.

Mine is a factory keyless entry with the antitheft system as well.

I've never seen it or heard of it on any of the other models. Hmmm.... I'd love for someone provide actual evidence (pic of the modules that are obviously factory) of the keyless in a non-limited trim.

I own both a 94 Limited and a 94 Eddie Bauer with these systems. The electronic group consisted of:

Eddie Bauer (possibly available on XLT but not certain-doubt it) - keyless entry/anti-theft, automatic headlights with auto darkening mirror.

Limited - same as above, but heated mirrors, 2 position memory drivers seat, and overhead console with temp/compass and map lights.

If your Eddie has the same features then your system was factory installed.

The connector will be tucked up behind the others in the Jack compartment. There is a rather large harness and some modules back there. Its there you just got to dig a little. The EVTM also lists one behind the glove box, but I have never been able to locate it.

Put down the driver window so you can get to the ignition switch. Jump the 2 pin connector behind the jack storage door and close all doors . Turn the ignition to run but do not start engine. The truck will lock and unlock the doors telling you its in the program mode, this also erases all remotes assigned to this truck. Next push any button on the remote and the truck will respond again by locking and unlocking the doors. You can do this for up to four remotes. Turn off the ignition and test.

This procedure will work with the factory installed keyless entry system. If there was a dealer installed system it may work similar but I am not sure as I have never fooled with one.

This is very interesting to find that it DID exist on a non-limited truck. I would love to know how they added the additional wiring for that option in the EB trim and if it would be possible to add it to a truck that did not have it. I suspect its probably a totally different interior harness since I do not see them making a plug in addition that could perform all the functions they have connected to the keyless module. Many of the wires have to go in a completely different direction.

If I had to guess I would say they probably just used a limited interior harness or at least part of it.

I have the modules, bracket, and key fob from a limited sitting around here because I grabbed them at the junkyard. I only have a short bit of the harness, and once I got to looking at the wiring diagrams it would seem the only realistic way to do it would be to have an entire limited harness to work with. Anything else would require so much rewiring of the interior as to make it easier to purchase a 3rd party alarm and keyless.

I will look into it a little for ya. But, i think there was a different dash harness for eddies with and without thse options. It wouldn't be that hard to wire up if you have all the hardware, you would just need an EVTM drawing to see what circuts go where.

Between all models that year, there seams to be about 5 different wiring harnesses with the limited being totally seperate from the others.

Cool, thanks...

I suppose I should look more in EB trucks at the junkyard. I doubt it would be easy to find one with the option but you never know. I once found a trailer tow wiring adapter in never-used condition just laying in the back of a completely wrecked and moldy truck, and a Honda V6 on its side under the hood of a Chevy pickup. Anything is possible.

Yeah just look for the ones that have the inside mirror with a bunch of buttons on it, that will be your best donor as it will have the options i listed before.

Eddie Bauer (possibly available on XLT but not certain-doubt it) - keyless entry/anti-theft, automatic headlights with auto darkening mirror.

Thats what I got.

If you guys want a limited wiring harness there's a limited in a junkyard near by here that's got all the options on it.

Back