Keyless (FOBs) quit working on hot days | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless (FOBs) quit working on hot days

Doldrums

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City Are
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
2000 Explorer (Eddie Bauer)

I posted this last year around the same time of year. You can see it here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284053

Basically, whenever it gets warmer outside, the FOBs on my truck quit working. They work all fall and winter... but as soon as the outside temp gets about 75 or 80... they quit working.

I do not think it is the FOBs themselves, but whatever receives the signal. The keypad on the door always works. The FOBs both work and cut out at the same time (when weather gets warmer).

I'll assume it is a bad soldier job like the radio LCD and the "temp / direction LCD" that both had bad soldier jobs that needed fixed.

I'm fine tearing something apart... I just need to know what to tear into.

Any of you have an idea?

Thanks!

Doldrums

2000 Explorer (Eddie Bauer)

I posted this last year around the same time of year. You can see it here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284053

Basically, whenever it gets warmer outside, the FOBs on my truck quit working. They work all fall and winter... but as soon as the outside temp gets about 75 or 80... they quit working.

I do not think it is the FOBs themselves, but whatever receives the signal. The keypad on the door always works. The FOBs both work and cut out at the same time (when weather gets warmer).

I'll assume it is a bad soldier job like the radio LCD and the "temp / direction LCD" that both had bad soldier jobs that needed fixed.

I'm fine tearing something apart... I just need to know what to tear into.

Any of you have an idea?

Thanks!

Doldrums

Sounds like the RAP (Remote Access Personality) module that receives the radio signal (among other things) is heat sensitive. The RAP is a box behind the left side trim in the cargo area; pull open the panel where the jack is stored and look forward. There are a bunch of relays and a box (mine is silver) with a sticker with a five digit number (your door code) on it. That's the RAP. My guess is that you will have to replace the module - should be plenty of them in JYs. You can then retrain your FOBs to work with the new RAP. Your door code will change (make sure the one you get still has its sticker on it) , and if you have a custom code programmed you will have to reprogram it in the new RAP. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

PS: Assumed this is not a Sport - the RAP module can be in different places on them!

Back