Kirbys Navajo Dana 44 Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kirbys Navajo Dana 44 Swap

Alright, I finally broke down and did it. I got all the parts pretty much rounded up, the axle is almost prepared and it will probably find its way under my truck in the next few weeks. Here is the specs:

HP Dana 44 out of a 76 F150 Cut down 6"
5.5 Wild Horses Springs
Full height (no chopping down for me) 80 F100 Coil Buckets
4.56 Gears
Rod End Steering courtesy of Rock Ware
I am going to attempt to use a stock TJ rear Track bar
Fabbed Trackbar mount
Fabbed upper Shock Mounts w/ Some Hoops
New Brakes, Ball Joints, Calipers, Wheel Bearings, Seals
Warn Premium Hubs

Things I want, but are out of the budget until I can sell my Lift and rims

35" BFGs
5 on 5.5 Black Rock Crawlers
Performance Wheel Spacers/ Adapters
Rod End Trackbar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Continued tonight. Got my Trackbar made and bolted on. Ended up going with 2 hiems instead of a rubber bushing on one side. Got the shock hoops bent and welded on the drivers, still need to weld on the passenger side. Also got my draglink bent.

I am soooooo Frustrated with the pitman arm. I can't get it off for the life of me and I can't drill it with it on. Any ideas? I am thinking of taking off the whole steering box and drilling it and remounting it, but I am not looking forward to all that power steering fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kirby N. said:
I am soooooo Frustrated with the pitman arm. I can't get it off for the life of me and I can't drill it with it on. Any ideas? I am thinking of taking off the whole steering box and drilling it and remounting it, but I am not looking forward to all that power steering fluid.

Get a pitman puller. Attach puller. Get it TIGHT. Spray the splined area with penetrating oil. Hit with a hammer a few times. Leave for the night. Come back next morning, repeat.

It will just fall off in a day.

I drilled my pitman arm in place, just make sure you have someone keep on eye on it so that you go in straight. Can't wait to see some pics :thumbsup:

Can't wait for pics, sounds awesome. Posting for updates.

I have the puller and I did that for about 4 hours. I will try it for a few days. Thanks Tom- does this remind you of the old days? Your Navajo was sweet!

Thanks for the compliments. I need to get it done and get some pics, but the Digi cam is broke.

That worked for the pitman arm.

I got it done! Looks good. Ended up getting 6" of lift. Works pretty good too. I still need to align it though. The driveshaft is dominating my exhaust though. I will probably get it as close as possible and call it good. I will get some pics soon.

I need to share some Pictures! It works good. I drove @ 70 MPH down the highway in 4x today. I am pretty confident in it now. It drives as well as it ever did. Wheels good too. I miss my front Locker though!

PICTURES!
It works pretty good. I wheeled it last night in the snow. I will try to get some close ups of the set up soon.

Front Rear Front

looks awesome kirby

is that on Mt. Herman??
Looks Great Kirby!!!

Very nice.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm SAS Navajo! :D

Kick SAS!

Jeff - :navajo:

Ryan- Yep that is Herman. I went up there again on Saturday. Wish there was more snow! They keep shutting more and more of it down. I have been ridding dirt bikes up there since grade school, makes me sad to see all the no motor vehicle signs.

Thanks for the compliments!

Back