KKM system, How loud? Worth the $$ ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KKM system, How loud? Worth the $$ ?

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
I see a few of you have the KKM air filter. Does it really roar when under load? And wnen using it without a Cat Back is there any point to having one. I know air in air out is good but is it really worth the $$ over stock?

My Mech. says the 5.0 is setup pretty good as is and spending the money for theses Mods is a waste.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey dude, i have a 4.0 and i got the kkm when it was stock and i noticed a little of roar but not much then i got a flowmaster 40 and really didnt notice anything different.

I have a SOHC and I was wondering about the sound that everyone is claiming they hear from it. I never hear it until I floored it one day and there it was!

Your mechanic don't know jack! You should feel the difference more on the 5.0 than the 4.0. Yes, KKM is worth every penny.

very good buy. These KKm's tend to have a break-in period. If you pay attention to your vehicle and the way you drive, it is noticeable. One of the best mods I've done and I am getting one for my girls 98 sport soon.

Originally posted by Sonny
My Mech. says the 5.0 is setup pretty good as is and spending the money for theses Mods is a waste.
He be smokin crack on that statement too.

I have a 4.0L SOHC Explorer and a 5.0L v8 Explorer. They both have the same identical airbox. Sure Ford gave the 5.0L Explorer the GT40P heads, but why did they use the same airbox setup as a 4.0L v6??? And why have the exhaust dual back to the muffler and then single from there?
Believe me, the stock 5.0L is no street racer. It's got great potential for being one, but you have to make a few mods.
My 5.0L is stock except for the KKM, and last week at the track I ran 17.3?? 1/4 miles with it like that. Maybe I should go back and put the stock airbox back on and see how she does.

it is SO worth the money! i didnt have the $$ to do an exhaust with it, so i bought a truck style exhaust tip to go with it and after a litle break in period, its a big difference for the $$. only regret is not getting th efull intake (tubing and all). i just got the filter and adapter.

Thanks everybody.

I think I'll get one for mine. I am concerned when it comes to emission testing, I do not think it will fly with Arizona. I guess I could put the stock back on once a year.

Just put a K&N sticker on there since KN is CARB certified.

Originally posted by ton_e_montana
very good buy. These KKm's tend to have a break-in period. If you pay attention to your vehicle and the way you drive, it is noticeable. One of the best mods I've done and I am getting one for my girls 98 sport soon.

Break in period on a cotton gauze filter?

Honestly, i haven't noticed anything from my exhaust and my KKM other than more volume from the muffler and more of a 'whisp' sound (when I let off the throttle) from the KKM.

Neither did d!ck for my MPG's and I were to do it all over again, i would've spent the $300 on something else and left my schtuff stock.

just stating what I know from my vehicle. If you can't notice gains from intake and exhaust you probably don't know your vehicle as well as I know mine. If you did those mods for MPG, you've missed the point.

Originally posted by ton_e_montana
just stating what I know from my vehicle. If you can't notice gains from intake and exhaust you probably don't know your vehicle as well as I know mine. If you did those mods for MPG, you've missed the point.

Yes and no... I am **** retentive about my truck and know every little intricacy about Adry... But then again, i try to never see 3000 rpm's b/c it just costs too dang much in city driving... Intake and exhaust really help out in higher RPM's and the SOHC motor likes to rev. It'll pull really hard when I do have to pass on the interstate though... so I'm sure it did something :D

hey dude, i just got my kkm a few weeks ago and i've noticed a lot of differnces then the stock, also i have the sohc. Increased the horsepower a little, increased my gas millage by 5mpg, the engine sounds and runs much better and louder. so i've been real happy with it. here's my thread for it....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=745643#post745643

laterz

adam

I actually lost some mpg since installing my KKM. Like what Hokie (what happen to Bert) said, my SOHC likes to rev and my right foot is now out of control. :D

Originally posted by X~FACTOR
and my right foot is now out of control. :D

Don't get an exhaust then, your foot will have 2 settings, off the gas or floored, trust me :p

Here, need some dyno results of mods to the 4.0L SOHC engine???

Ron Brezina has a 2001 Sport Trac and has done many a dyno test with different mods.

Here's a link to his dyno test results which he compares to his brother's stock 2003 Sport Trac:
Dyno Results

He keeps losing TQ! No? :confused:

EDIT: So he got his best results with a Superchip and.. is that a high flow cat hes takin about?

Yup, exactly what I keep saying: open up the exhaust too much and you start losing power. However: intake, catback, chip, and MAS all helped (though the MAS not too much).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust-man-Alec.. what do you reccommend for my setup? I'm having a single out magnaflow put on.. along with intake, chip, e cam..

Think a single 3" will be okay?

Back