Knock sensor location on 99 Explorer 302 shortblock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knock sensor location on 99 Explorer 302 shortblock

Jrock909

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Guys I am getting ready to drop in a 302 motor that I am using a 99 Explorer 302 shortblock my question is where is the knock sensor located at on the 99 Explorer 302 block? My 92 F-150 has a rear mounted knock sensor, I am trying to avoid drilling and tapping unless I really have to ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering if there is enough meat to drill and tap for a knock sensor on the 99 Explorer 5.0 shortblock? I need a knock sensor for my computer not to freak out in my 92 F-150 truck...

If the tune on the engine is correct,the engine will not knock, and the sensor shouldn't be needed-
Wire it in yes--mount it on the firewall--this way it will be hooked up, but never sense a knock. The timing would remain stable.
Just a thought

I went ahead and drilled and tapped the hole for the knock sensor on the back of the block so it's all good now!

Back