Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

I just put Michelin Premier LTX's on my 2016 Sport on Saturday. Went 265/50/20 and I am super happy with the look and ride so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put Michelin Premier LTX's on my 2016 Sport on Saturday. Went 265/50/20 and I am super happy with the look and ride so far.
Can you post a picture of your vehicle with 265/50?

Thanks!

Hello can anyone either tell me or refer me to a specific thread that talks about how large of tires I can put on a 2018 platinum without causing a bunch of problems, rub, and without a lift? I’d like to use stock rims if possible, but am open to after-market if stock is limiting due to offset etc. I also don’t want tires sticking outside the wheel-wells. Thanks!!

Hello can anyone either tell me or refer me to a specific thread that talks about how large of tires I can put on a 2018 platinum without causing a bunch of problems, rub, and without a lift? I’d like to use stock rims if possible, but am open to after-market if stock is limiting due to offset etc. I also don’t want tires sticking outside the wheel-wells. Thanks!!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be used to find all kinds of info that already has been posted. Your thread was merged with this one. I believe there may be others as well. The generally accepted rule is that you should not exceed the OEM diameter by more than 3%. Here is an example of a site that can be very helpful.
265/50-R20 vs 285/40-R22 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

Peter

This thread has a lot of info on what size wheels/tires that others have fit to their explorers (model doesn't really matter) - Aftermarket wheels

The below link will show you how a different size wheel/tire will compare to your factory wheel/tire - you can change either wheel or tire sizes, or both. UK based, so
Will They Fit - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator

Additional info on the 3% rule: "Years ago, several tire manufacturers recommended that plus-size fitments remain within 3% of the diameter of the OE tire specified on the placard. Since then, very few, if any, have continued to publish that guideline, but it still exists in the Tire Industry Association’s (TIA) Automotive Tire Service (ATS) Program and will remain there because it has been used in a number of legal cases. There have also been a number of tests in the past that showed exceeding the 3% guideline can have a negative effect on vehicle stability, electronic stability control, and other ride or braking systems."

"Even though TIA recognizes the 3% rule, calling it a standard is not so cut and dried. It isn’t published in most of the current tire company data books or fitment guides, and the RMA doesn’t mention it at all when talking about plus-sizing. However, it existed in the past and exists to some degree in the present, so the best practice is to follow it when selecting a plus-size tire."

above quotes from this 2016 article that tries to portray the 3% rule as a standard, but it isn't really a standard, and not all manufactures or industry associations recognize it as such, but you should follow it anyway for fear of a lawsuit... - Avoid the Lawsuit Blues: 5 Ways to Protect Yourself When Installing Custom Tires and Wheels - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer

Hey guys, my first post here. Wondering what the largest size tires you can fit on a stock 2017 XLT. I want to put some all terrain tires on, and want them to be bigger. I dont want them to rub though.

Also whats the largest size tires I could put on if i added a Traxda 2"

I have 20" if you could give me the tire size.

Last edited:

I ran 265/50/20 all terrains and it was the largest you can go without rubbing/cutting. That was on the 20" rims for a 2014.

Hey guys, my first post here. Wondering what the largest size tires you can fit on a stock 2017 XLT. I want to put some all terrain tires on, and want them to be bigger. I dont want them to rub though.

Also whats the largest size tires I could put on if i added a Traxda 2"

I have 20" if you could give me the tire size.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right).
There are threads on All Terrain Tires and Lifts as well. Check those out. Please post related questions in those threads. Thanks.
All Terrain Tires
Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

Peter

I’m running 295/45/20 on 10.5” wheel. Lowered on H&R Flex Springs

22x10.5 +45 offset on all four corners. Running a 295/45 r20. That's the widest possible tire you can run without rubbing. I have 0 clearance issues at all even at full lock. Also im running H&R Explorer lowering springs.

View attachment 94685

the velgen wheels on the picture are 22" or 20" ?

FIRST POST. What is the biggest tire I can fit on my 2016 ford explorer sport without rubbing?
255 40 r20 this is what on it now I would like to keep the 20s
Thanks

The proper size tire for the 2016 Ford Explorer Sport is P255/50R20. If you're has a P255/40R20, someone installed the wrong size.

I own one and don't think you would want anything larger. Just my $0.02.

Read your door jamb sticker. P255/50R20 is factory size tire. P255/40R20 is a shorter tire, for which that size was never used by Ford Motor Company on a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport

FIRST POST. What is the biggest tire I can fit on my 2016 ford explorer sport without rubbing?
255 40 r20 this is what on it now I would like to keep the 20s
Thanks
Welcome to the Forum Matthew.:wave:
jade97 is correct. The factory tire size is 255/50R20. As it is, the ones you have on the vehicle now are not a recommended size. The generally accepted diameter difference compared to OEM is a nominal 3%. The ones you have now exceed that more than twice at -7%. This will negatively affect the ABS and Traction Control which are calibrated according to the factory size. If your speedo currently reads 60 mph you are actually doing about 56. This is one of several sites that will allow you to 'plug in' different sizes Tire size calculator: compare tires online
Keep in mind that tires sizes themselves can differ slightly from what the size states. Read post #106.

Peter

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can reply that 265/50R20 fit stock Sport rims without issues and don't rub. I put Nitto NT421Q on and am very happy.

Back