Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
lift kits for 2011 explorer?

I am thinking about getting a 2011 explorer but I was wondering if there is any lift kits avaliable I would like to adjust my ground clearance from 7.6 to 9.6 if i were to buy the explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't look forward to any ever being made unless its a small guy working out of his garage making it. If you're looking for a newer Explorer and want some lift you may want to consider a 2010 as you can lift them a little bit.

EX bottoms out, Leveling kits?

hey guys,

Is anyone else having issues with the low suspension of their explorer? i hate the approach angle it has and the lower end of the bumper scrapes even at mild angles. Parking stops too. Im used to the old explorers which i guess had higher rides than the new.

Are there any leveling kits available to help lift the front end just a bit? Without screwing up the ride or suspension performance?

I know at least one member removed, or trimmed the low hanging front air dam under the front bumper/fascia.

hey guys,

Is anyone else having issues with the low suspension of their explorer? i hate the approach angle it has and the lower end of the bumper scrapes even at mild angles. Parking stops too. Im used to the old explorers which i guess had higher rides than the new.

Are there any leveling kits available to help lift the front end just a bit? Without screwing up the ride or suspension performance?
I've noticed the parking block issue as well, and it irritates the hell out of me.

But It's not a levelling issue - it's an aerodynamics issue. To get fuel mileage up, they've put in all the aero aids they can. It's likely what those little blocks are in front of the rear wheels.

Trimming the plastic is an option. I've certainly thought about it. I just wonder how to do it cleanly, and what the impact is on vehicle stability at higher speeds, so I've just let it go.

I know at least one member removed, or trimmed the low hanging front air dam under the front bumper/fascia.

Yes, that was me. I have not had any problems and I'm very happy that I did. I've read people have ripped that whole piece off from hitting things.

I also did not notice any wind noise or decrease in MPG because of it. Besides, it looks so much better.

I would love to lift the Explorer a bit and possibly get higher profile wheels so that I could take this on the sand. Love the 20" rims though...

yeah i wish they had kits out. probably a couple years.

I guess i could try and replace the coils for longer ones?

Im about to rip that air dam off myself im so frustrated with it.

Directly behind it is a vent that collects air movement and directs it up into the engine. And my gf ripped that clean off the other night on a parking stop. :(

good thing its an easy fix.

Anyone with a well furnished garage could always try popping the suspension out and look at the top plates of the coilovers, then do a trace to get solid aluminum spacers made at a machine shop. As far as thickness goes - I'd recommend something conservative (no more than 1.25" thick).

Yes, that was me. I have not had any problems and I'm very happy that I did. I've read people have ripped that whole piece off from hitting things.

I also did not notice any wind noise or decrease in MPG because of it. Besides, it looks so much better.

I would love to lift the Explorer a bit and possibly get higher profile wheels so that I could take this on the sand. Love the 20" rims though...

Got any pictures?

Who makes a lift for a 2012 Explorer AWD?

Just traded an Expedition for a Explorer AWD Ltd. Need to put some tougher tires on it for the ranch roads, but lookslike I'm going to need to get some clearance. Gonna need a brush Guard too, if anyone knows of manufactures????

Got any pictures?

I posted pictures. Do a search for my old posts. I don't think anyone but myself would have even noticed that I did it. I actually took alot off and it makes a big difference.

Found the link: .http://img148.imageshack.us/i/beforeafterfront.jpg/
http://img832.imageshack.us/i/sideat.jpg/

Anyone know what's the largest tire size I can fit on the stock 20" rims? I think the current tires are 255/50/20". Could I fit 275/55/20"? It's about 50 cms larger in diameter when I do the formula.

Taking this thing on the beach in a couple of weeks. I'm nervous about the low profile tires. I hate to go down to 18" tires when those 20's look so nice. I'll post pictures and a quick report on how the truck handles soft beach sand.

Nice trim job, TomTom! Assuming that Ford isn't stupid (right?) I bet that after enough of those air dams are ripped off by parking blocks, they will redesign it for 2012 or 2013, or maybe even make a retrofit kit available.

I can't help you with the tires, my Ex has 15 inch wheels. For added confidence, you could buy or build roll-up sand mats, as pioneered by the British Long Range Desert Group (LRDG). If they worked in the Libyan desert, they will work on the Jersey beaches! http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/lrdgpatrol.html
http://www.cwgc.org/northafrica/imagelibrary/imageView.asp?imageid=138&start=43

Bob

I doubt it. I'm noticing more and more SUVs are loweing the front of thier trucks.

It was easy. I marked where I wanted to cut (on the back). I took off the lower facia and used a utility knife to trim it. Reinstalled it.

I just wonder how to do it cleanly, and what the impact is on vehicle stability at higher speeds, so I've just let it go.

Good God, how fast do you drive your explorer?

I doubt it. I'm noticing more and more SUVs are loweing the front of thier trucks.

Once upon a time the feds had a minimum approach and departure angle specification for vehicles classified as SUVs. Sadly they must have done away with it.

guys, will the following level kit work for the 2011 XLT? I am new to modifying and want something to boost the profile of my Ex back to an SUV and not a soccer mom ride.

It says it is compatible with a 2011, but i am doubtful as i did not notice torsion keys when under my vehicle the other day.

follow this link for the part im talking about.

http://pp4l.estore.catalograck.com/...it&hdnPartType=Suspension+Front+Leveling+Kit&

Definitely not, 2011 Explorers don't have torsion key suspension.

EDIT:
I actually just found this video, and the guy smacks the front bumper within the first 15 seconds of the video. Hope you guys find something soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, that video is pathetic! Did Ford emasculate the Explorer that much? I thought that they tested it off road. I know that the Explorer was sent to Dubai to play in the sand because there is a video of it.

On the other hand, who would take a new, unmodified Explorer on a trail like that? Even an unmodified 1st generation Ex has only about 6.5 inches of ground clearance. Also, that trail may be more rugged than it looks in the video.

He probably would not have gotten stuck if he had bigger and better tires. You can tell by the video that it is running street tires. As good as the terrain management system is, a two-speed transfer case would have helped. Doesn't the transmission have a low gear?

I'd be more concerned about stuff breaking on the trail. A suspension and drivetrain from the Taurus can't possibly be as robust as the old Dana 35 with those big U-joints and the Ford 8.8 inch differential.

Bob

Back