• Register Today It's free!

Larger tires

Archi830

Reaction score
City, State
Siren
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 piu base
I haven't located a thread on this yet but what would be the largest tire size on the stock 18 inch rim I could install without the fear of rubbing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't located a thread on this yet but what would be the largest tire size on the stock 18 inch rim I could install without the fear of rubbing
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you checked out this thread? Can I run a 255/65R18 on my XLT?
As mentioned in that thread, you should not exceed 3% of the OEM tire size. You can use the following site to check that. 245/60-R18 vs 255/60-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World Just plug in your own numbers and check the diameter difference.

Peter

I have found some good info in these threads about the 3% rule on tire diameter, but does any one know what the 18" Steel rims and PIU can handle for a width? I am looking at expanding my tire options for the 245/55/R18 steel rims and could use some opinions on best alternative sizes.

I have found some good info in these threads about the 3% rule on tire diameter, but does any one know what the 18" Steel rims and PIU can handle for a width? I am looking at expanding my tire options for the 245/55/R18 steel rims and could use some opinions on best alternative sizes.
Well I went ahead and ordered a tire one inch larger in diameter which according to the chart is less than 3%and hopefully there's no issues will let you know how they do...

Running 265/60/18 on my PIU, BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A's. Look and handle great. Quiet too!

Similar subject: My PIU came with a spare wheel but no tire. I know for convenience I should get the same size, Do I need to get the PIU standard or can I just get a cheaper tire, since it will probably be sitting in the car and never used?

Similar subject: My PIU came with a spare wheel but no wheel. I know for convenience I should get the same size, Do I need to get the PIU standard or can I just get a cheaper tire, since it will probably be sitting in the car and never used?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm a little confused by your opening sentence, "came with a spare wheel but no wheel.":dunno: Did you mean it came with a wheel but no tire? In any case if the PIU comes with a full sized spare, unlike the regular Explorer, it should definitely be the same size and preferably the same type. Does your Owner's Manual address this?

Peter

I know this isn't a PIU but this thread helped a bit and was found by searching for what I was looking for so I figured it would be a good place. I just bought a 2016 XLT and worked out a tire upgrade with the deal. Went with Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, in 265/60R18 based on the reports in this and other threads of no rubbing. And yes, I understand they are just outside the recommended 3% at 3.2%, but .2% is negligible IMO. On the flat streets, there is no rubbing at all even at full lock. But I noticed two times where they did rub a little, both times the front of the car was up higher and turning right, like coming out of a driveway on an incline to a road. This would likely happen in off-road situations too. Haven't really done much investigating or many miles on them yet, I'm not positive where it's rubbing but I have a guess. I'll update once I figure it out or if it continues to be a problem.

Oh, and don't mind the grease on the wheel, they discovered one of the CV axle boots was ripped and flung grease all over the wheel and well. They still changed the tires, but now there's grease everywhere. It's totally unrelated to the tires btw.
IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

Back