Last time bugging everyone for Sub choices | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Last time bugging everyone for Sub choices

Ok, Ma Audio and Audiobahn make some dope subs, however they arent the "creme of the crop" as far as SPL goes. I understand you wanting to stick with the same mnufacturer but there are others out there who are just as good and better. Good choice for the amp though, used to have one but switched to PPI. My recomendation to you would to go with something like digital designs or kicker...even though you said you wantedd to basically shut up the kicker crowd....well there is a reason why kicker guys like their subs so much, I have 4...and they arent to good on the chest cavity if you know what im saying...and as far as a box goes. If you want totally amazing SPL, do it right, concrete!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im running a DD9015d with only 750 watts in my mountaineer and it slams. Id have to say it sounds a lot better then the 2 12" perfects i had. In a SQ oriented box DDs sound great (considering thats what they were originally designed for) im currently building a SPL box... but ill leave you some pics of my SQL box.

fd666729.jpg

fd66672b.jpg

fd66672a.jpg

4.5 cubic feet 60 sq inchs of port tuned to ~40hz ;]

thats a nice set up--all in a ford contour :eek: have any problems like the WINDSHIELD BREAKING, anyways DD are cool subs, and awesome for SPL, but I want to stick with MA, and Audiobahn, their products have been good to me, and there aren't that many people 'round here runnin them, MA audio is almost non-existent in the State College area, Ive never seen any DD subs here either, well, maybe once my girlfriend gets her NEON :thumbdwn: paid off, ill go to work there, i could just see her dads face when she opens up the trunk and theres a big fat 15" DD sub staring him in the face!

oh well all wishful thinking, im gonna get the 1505 audiobahn, good SPL, decent SQ bye bye paychecks!!

"If you want totally amazing SPL, do it right, concrete!!!"
ummmmm NO!!! :D ( i mean not yet!)

dude, have you heard of rockford power hx2's? they are seriously loud! if your amp does push 1kw of power then i would say go for them! a 12 or 15"...they thump and ive heard of them going all the way up to 165 db...
in a street car too! 2000 watts power handling!

ill let world records speak for themselves ;]

the rockford hx2's are good, but can't compare to the Audiobahns - IMO they are the perfect sub, awsome spl and sq at the same time and a sick and ungodly amount of clean bass.

A kid at my school is running six 10" Audiobahns Flame Q's (I think the 08 series?) and it's nutz, you can be inside a building a feel the whole place shake and vibrate, and you hear him for a while comming up the road...but wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait ect ect ect.......is that him? Ah, there he is:D He has plexiglass windows bolted on so they don't shatter. He has Audiobahn amps running them and they come out on a motorized amp rack, it's a pretty sick installation.

He drove by my class yesterday, and my teacher was like "damn it's gonna storm out and looked out the window" he thought it was thunder cause the whole room shook. LOL, we had to explain to him systems and everything, he's like 65yrs old, and thought it was crazy - then he's like "thats cool, I guess" lol

bruce, whats the db rating on those dd subs your running? on a street car...... , im up in vancouver, bc and there a couple of names up here, but i dont think ive heard those subs yet......sounds pretty loud if they get over that threshold.

saleen......cant say ive heard the audiobahns, but ive heard really crazy ish about them, they are loud no doubt......6 10's hey? thats sounds nuts, id like to see the pics on that one..! plexi windows? anyone know where i could get a predrilled one for the back glass in my 98 ex?

www.ddaudio.com

Dead Link Removed

that is just a link to show you how many positions DD woofer won in the USA finals only..

DD currently also hold the worlds loudest one woofer extreme car at 172,6(7)
its a quad coil dd9515 with 12 amps on it ;]

btw DD woofers arent just for SPL they were orginally design as studio speakers ;]

a subwoofer company called elemental design also greats wonder woofers at a more affordable price.

Originally posted by zedsdead
bruce, whats the db rating on those dd subs your running? on a street car...... , im up in vancouver, bc and there a couple of names up here, but i dont think ive heard those subs yet......sounds pretty loud if they get over that threshold.

saleen......cant say ive heard the audiobahns, but ive heard really crazy ish about them, they are loud no doubt......6 10's hey? thats sounds nuts, id like to see the pics on that one..! plexi windows? anyone know where i could get a predrilled one for the back glass in my 98 ex?
They are absolutley sick, only one bad thing though. It's in a white Navigator....and the whole truck is basically riced out and fuggly as hell. The system is the only nice thing about it, which cost well over 10,000. Even the front of the truck looks like a big civic, he has a huge body kit on it, which I didn't even think they made body kits for the Navigator but.....oh god is it fuggly. The best part though is when the amps come out on the motorized rack - tripped the hell outta me when I saw that.:D There was another thread where I was talking about this Navigator being riced out.

But the system is just sick, Audibahns are nutz and burst your eardrums. And they look mad nice with that Flame looking chrome all over it.

As for the plexiglass, I'm not sure, he lives in NY but goes to college here, I'm sure you could get any Car Audi shop to install plexiglass.

Here is what you want for a sub. The brand is a big deal but the material the sub is made of, matters more. You dont want an aluminum cone. You also dont want high excursion subs. Those do not make SPL like smaller excursion subs. A crossfire or JL sub is best used to SPL. If you dont beleive me as any SPL expert and they will tell you. Also, it is very, very hard to make two subs hit 150 DB. You need a perfect box, lots and lots of power like 1000+ watts to each sub. You also need to dynomat and make sure it is air tight. Sun-roofs hurt SPL a lot too. All of these are factors and i wish you good luck making 2 subs hit 150. Pro's have trouble making this happen

Just being realistic for ya
Geoff:D

Good luck with the stereo.

You also dont want high excursion subs. Those do not make SPL like smaller excursion subs

-why is this? i was thinkin the contrary, more excursion = more air moved = more SPL

A kid at my school is running six 10" Audiobahns Flame Q's (I think the 08 series?) and it's nutz,

-too bad i dont have rich parents.......

Not true at all. I used to be really good buddies with a guy who built SPL cars for a living. I have two high excursion eclipse subs and he told me those were not the best for SPL. The easier and quicker a sub can move the more sound it can make. His store sold Crossfire, JL, and Eclpise. He choice the crossfire for the low excursion and high power handling. Just what i was told by him and i thought i would relay it on to you. Do what you would like but that is my 2 cents.

By the way that car had 6 DVC 12 inch subs and 12 1000 watt amps. It hit around 158-160. Also he told me when you go up 3 spl it is like doubling the sound to your ears. When you get up into the 145-146 range you have to do a lot to gain even 1 db.

Hope i helped ya
GEoff:D

Back