late model 5.0 in 65 mustang

zensius

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Hill, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4 dr. EB
Can anyone help me find info on the web about how to put an '89 5.0 in a 65 mustang. I've spent the whole morning looking for info and haven't found anything. I even looked all over Mustang sites. Can anyone help?
Also, can I get some personal opinions, would you rather have a '65 convertible with a stock-looking 4 barrel 302 from a '67 with a 4 speed (not a toploader) or a built 5.0 from an '89 with MAS, fuel injection, 325 hp and a t-5 five speed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try www.corral.net Someone on there should be able to help you or steer you in the right direction.

www.vintage-mustang.com

Theres tons of guys that have dropped 5.0's in instead of 302s/289s... Search first, if you have any questions make a new post, but its been pretty well gone over in great detail.

Personally I'd rather have the carbed 302 w/ a 4 speed... I personally think FI is a big PITA, I'd rather have a carb that can be dialed in with no problems. And the T-5 is a weak tranny, I'd be nervous with one behind any sort of high HP motor (I'd never put one behind my 351). I've tossed around the idea of swapping my automatic for a manual, but I'd be going with a Toploader 4 speed.

Should be lots of info on this ,but I went the other way I put a 1965, 289 in a 84 Mustang ,call me nostalgic.

Toad, you're nostalgic.

It's funny, I went all yesterday without finding anything. Then this morning I caught a thread on one of those sites and now I have five excellent sites bookmarked. Thanks guys.

The t-5 that's with this 5.0 has been gone over for racing so it's probably pretty good. The car that all of this is in was set up for Silver... something road race in Nevada. But the guy lost interest and doesn't want to bother anymore. Actually...now that I think of it it's got a full set of Wilwood racing discs on all four corners these would fit on an Explorer if they weere five lug, would they not? I just though I might be able to sell them to somebody in the sport truck area.

Back