• Register Today It's free!

Late model Lift/Tire problems

System

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
na
hey, im generaly new to all this, and the guys under the general exploer message board helped a lot, confused a little, a gave me a lot to think about. as of now, i think i am going for a 98 sport. a sport becuase of manual transmission, and because of its smaller size, it would be a little more agile on the trail than a 4 door, and it would be less likely to get stuck... i dont know, my mind could change again if i could find an older manual 4 door with low milage. then again,i would rather have a v8 and just put a manual in that. which could easiy be done...my mechanic has rebuilt the manual he put in his explorer...ANYWAY....thats all my thought process....but...i was reading the tech tips, and i saw this:

Lift and Tire Options for the '95 and Later IFS Explorers
31x10.50's are about all you can get. There is the off chance that you couldfit a 31x11.50. Yoko makes some, so does BFG under the Sport King/Mud King label. As yet, no one has done a suspension lift and many of the companies who have tried have canceled the project...the way the rig is made with all-wheel drive, the type of t-case, etc. , the market is too small for the aftermarket to try to make lift kits.

so does that mean if i was to have a 95+(ie: a 98 sport) i couldnt really lift it that much, or get that much bigger tire size? Or am i missing something ovbious, or have things changed since that article? thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That quote isn't accurate anymore. There are a bunch of options: The 2" TT/shackle lift, a 2 or 3" body lift, adapting the Ranger 4" susp lift (there are 98+ Explorer versions I think). Late models aren't stuck on the ground anymore. Then there's always the grandaddy: SOA in rear and SAS in front! (spring over axle, solid axle swap)

whats so good about sas, and sos? and is there anywhere i could find out prices for all that stuff you mentioned?

I have a 98 sport with a 3 inch body lift, the Torsion bar twisted, and shackles in the rear. I am running 33 inch tires right now with no problems. Trailmaster has a 4 inch suspension lift for this explorer, kinda pricey, but its available.

There is definatly more you can do with the later Explorer's than you heard of. There is a few of us that have the 4" suspension lift added with the 3" body lift along with 33" tires. The suspension lift runs about $1,300 but it is definatly worth the rewards. Just depends on how elaborate you want to get and how much money you are willing to part with to get it. Take a look at some of the pictures on this forum to get an idea of what you might want. Thats what I did.

What makes a solid axle so much better than IFS b/c IFS sucks... Solid axle is way flexier than the new IFS...
Pete

Superlift now has an official 95-97 Explorer 4" lift. So you dont have to buy a ranger lift and put it on an Explorer.

what woud be a good tire/suspension/lift set up for a daily driver, but also a bi-daily 4x4er? sorry to bug ya'll,i just wanna make the right decisions.

Well, all I can tell you is that I have the 4" Trailmaster suspension lift and the 3" PA body lift with the Eagle Alloy 15x8 rims with the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials. 33" that is. Take a look at my picks and you can decide if you like it or not. This is the place where I got all my ideas from. I was very scared at first about this whole project at first but when it was all done, I was very excited about the outcome. Ask as many questions as you need.

As everyone has already said, not to fear...you're 95 or up explorer isn't doomed. 31's aren't the biggest you can go, but then again don't expect to be able to slap on 36 inch meats either. what sucks is that GOOD aftermarket parts for explorers are so few and far between.

question?

Can you do those lifts with a 1997 Sport? Also do you know if they make a supercharger for a'97 also?

Originally posted by Alec
That quote isn't accurate anymore. There are a bunch of options: The 2" TT/shackle lift, a 2 or 3" body lift, adapting the Ranger 4" susp lift (there are 98+ Explorer versions I think). Late models aren't stuck on the ground anymore. Then there's always the grandaddy: SOA in rear and SAS in front! (spring over axle, solid axle swap)
;)

Rubyn, do a search. You'll probably find what you're looking for there.

2 of the bes superchargers for 97 explorers are Eaton and Powerdynne. I have powerdyne and lemme tell you, that sh_t can haul some major ass.

Thank you Nicholtl... your a big help. Sorry Jason_25, I'm kinda new at this ****..... I now know for the future.... thank you. I'm gonna check out those superchargers. Thanks :)

Rubyn, since you have a 97 sport, you either have the 4.0 OHV or the 4.0 SOHC. If you have the OHV, look at my old supercharger threads in the Need for Speed forum (just set the forum to display all threads, from day one). I have a supercharged OHV 96 sport and would be glad to help you out. Post any new threads about that in the NfS forum.

u can buy 3 inch spindles for like600$

They dont have spindle lifts for a 4x4.................do they? I am pretty sure they dont. If they do tell me where.

oh im sorry nevermind:(

Back