ld50 Explorer mods revisited | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ld50 Explorer mods revisited

Hello fellow Explorer enthusiasts.
If you want to jump to my solid axle swap thread click link below: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163210

If you start here you will see the mods to my Ex in cronological order as they happened, and as my own ideas and expectations were being formed. Some of my early mods led me into my SAS, and were essential to the process. There is a link to my solid axle swap at the end.

This started out as a re-do of my modification thread I started before I finally became elite. I couldn`t go back to it and post pictures so I wanted to redo it in style.

~~~~~~ TABLE OF CONTENTS ~~~~~~

This is a rough guide that may depend on your resolution!

PAGE 1:

-Intro
-Front license plate raised
-driving lights
-Stock picture
-Cone air filter
-CB and cheap glass mount antenna
-Wire mesh grille
-Front tow hooks install
-2"suspension lift + shocks

PAGE 2

-2"suspension lift + shocks cont`d
-Broken front lower shock mount remedy
-Addition of 31x10.5 tires
-Alignment woes
-Fire extinguisher added (with warning pics)
-Rear locker added (my initial thoughts)
-How I beat the "left side lean"
-My first real trip report with thoughts on truck perf.

PAGE 3:

-Body lift kit parts problems
-Canadian flag 3rd brake light
-2" Body lift install
-2" Body lift install cont`d
-Short lived front bumper gap filler (LOL)
-Rear bumper remount (2" higher)

PAGE 4:

-Rear bumper remount (2" higher) cont`d
-Front bumper remount (2" higher) (Tow hooks raised inside frame)
-Warrior shackles and rear shock mount skidplates
-Skid plate problems
-My first time towing a Jeep outta the mud
-Rear sway bar removal and upper shock mount mod
-Emergency brake cable mod #1

PAGE 5:

-More Warrior skidplate/shockmount problems noted
-Front splashguard (bumper to swaybar)
-Trip report; Vancouver Island
-Post trip thoughts
-Warrior skidplate shock mount breakage
-The amazing throttle cable mod!
-Hieght measurements to bottom of bumpers

PAGE 6:

-Info on wheel spacers
-Warrior comes through with proper plates
-Rear shock mounted to axle with old sway bar brackets
-Raised upper rear shock mounts
-I get the dumb idea to buy a bra
-The "Zimmerman" rear spring mod (I later regret)
-Front swaybar disconnects (cheap, didn`t work well)

PAGE 7:

-Emergency brake cable extension!
-1 & 1/2 inch wheel spacers
-1 & 1/2 inch wheel spacers cont`d
-Custom exhaust (brand?)
-My first stuck!
-Wheeling thoughts and misdiagnosed problem
-Hippoliner on rockers (like herculiner)
-Replacing a rear shackle bushing with poly
-Starter problem troubleshooting, repair
-Note on premature corroding of battery cables for 91-94 Explorers

PAGE 8:

-Better front swaybar disconnects
-Dual battery setup!
-Dual battery setup! cont`d
-Fender trimming to fit 33s

PAGE 9

-Fender trimming to fit 33s (cont`d)
-I put my front driving lights in the back for reverse lights
-The 33s are on!
-Warrior shock relocation bracket mounts for rear lowers

PAGE 10

-Four foot antenna mount at rear corner
-Another trip report
-1 year anniversary
-I prove that I could possibly be crazy

PAGE 11

-Cheap fender flares
-Old Man Emu rear springs (OME-36)

PAGE 12

-I assume that I have reached a plateau!

PAGE 13
-Detroit EZ locker install into my open front diff.

PAGE 14
-Detroit EZ locker install into my open front diff. (cont`d)
-Rear towhook install

PAGE 15
-J-Clips to keep front coils from popping out at the top

LAST PAGE
-Link to rusty rocker panel repair
-Link to Solid Axle Swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "spacers" Are actually a stock spring seat used in the older F-150s. It just happens to fit under our springs, and measures just shy of 2 inches.
I don`t think they come in various sizes since it`s an actual part.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Cool! thanks a lot, After reading your write ups, you kinda a feel like you just have to modify something so I'll start out simple, I had to replaced all the bushing on my X anyway so thought I might take advantage of it and lift it a little. The next one on the list is the body lift, buy I'll need new tires or else it looks kinda sucky ;)

Absolutely Great post ld50
i have been slowly modding my explorer as well, next step for me is a set of F150 spacers and warrior shackles (waiting for the shackles to be delivered from the states).
I saw earlier in the post that you have gone out with the herd of turtles in the past. i went out with them a few weeks ago and had a blast. Great people to wheel with.

Thanks for the great peice of reading, and a few great ideas.

Thanks!
I did wheel with the Herd a couple times, they are a nice group. I just stopped going for purely selfish reasons. -I didn`t want to go to meetings in Surrey, and I kind of like wheeling in a smaller group when I can.
Good luck with the Explorer!

Update!

The ex is still holding up well, but I have a something going on..

- my OME springs have softened, regretfully, this brought my left side lean back with a vengeance. I did the trick of swapping the springs side for side the other day. This brought the lean to only about 1/2 an inch to the left while before it was leaning over an inch. My thought is that the springs are so soft they just can`t hold it level anymore, all I can do is keep swapping to try and fight it. I guess it`s a trade off to have these really great springs that flex like crazy but allow more lean. Don`t know what else to do except bolt some weight onto the right side, lol. oh well it`s not that bad now.

~

Update again!

Should come clean about mounting my rear shocks to my old anti-sway bar mounts. Wasn`t a good idea for me, my shocks would extend to the stops while wheeling and this eventually broke the mounts. I welded some new mounts to my old shock mount skid plates, raising the mount point slightly and since it`s a little further out I should have full suspension travel without stressing the shocks.

picture to follow..

Wow, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Where can I get that "Splint Mesh"?

Hey Tony, boy I tell ya that`s the most asked question I get :D

The mesh may or may not be available through a first aid equipment supplier. However, with advancements in splinting happenning everyday, all the "better" systems these companies come up with are replacing the expanded aluminum mesh -whether they really are better, or marketed as such.

Now it might be a matter of someone having a stash somewhere that they will give away. I personally haven`t seen the mesh in a while.

PS. sometimes things Canadians like to use are outright poo-pooed by our Yankee brethren, especially if it be of Canadian origin!, I.E. The Robertson screwdriver vs. the philips. Could be that US first aid companies simply never used expanded aluminum mesh. -Anyone know for sure?

The rear shock mounts

As I described, the rear mounts to the old anti-sway bar mount points weren`t such a good idea, so I welded some angle iron to my Warrior skid-plate/shock mount, and mounted to that.
If you are familliar with the Warrior part and my write-up, I had gone through several modifications to the design, finally just mounting to my axle (sway-point).
Before welding the angle iron onto them, the mounts Warrior had on the skidplates were fully removed.
The mount point is now a little lower than the anti-sway point due to the fact I believed it to be just barely over-extending, which lead to breaking of the sway bar mount hole, OR I could be full of crap. Either way it has not broken on me yet, but time will tell. At least now it is more likely that the shock will tear apart before the mount does. :D

Attachments

• EFrear mounts.JPG
    EFrear mounts.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,225

Hmmm, I was looking in a Home Depot and they had some mesh stuff for covering over the Gutters of a house and I think the Mesh is also used when doing Cement work. I was thinking that it might not hold up.

I know a Surgeon, I gotta ask him. Thanks

That shock mount is really low slung I think. I mounted mine simularly, but up about 3" to the center of the axle tube.

Mesh Stuff

Still looking for the mesh that ld50 used for his grill.
anyone know anything about this (what would work for the same thing)?
Thx,

Kirby, don`t forget I have OME springs, which are about 2 inch of lift PLUS Warrior shackles. Could have saved some exactness by buying longer shocks but I`m trying to keep stock size, which is tricky..

ps. that gutterguard stuff would work as mesh if it is actually aluminum.

Oooh- I understand if you are trying to save some cash by keeping those shocks. When they sit lower it can be a challenge to get a long enough travel shock and mount them up out of the way. You sould ditch those OME springs and go back to stock springs with a spring over. I ran my duff lift with f150 spacers and a SOA in the rear for a while. Rode awesome, flexed more awesome. No shackles hanging down either.

Phase 2?

The station wagon is off the road for a while, uninsured whilst I repair the rust and consider putting my full width axles on.

My rockers have been rusting from inside for quite a while.. :(

(no my tire is not bent, it`s the angle)

Attachments

• rust 1.JPG
    rust 1.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • rust 2.JPG
    rust 2.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,097

wow that is some serious rust

Thanks Brian, those are some solid rockers that guy has. I`m repairing mine, I have one side done, but I got a lot of other things on the go. Wanted to have mostly just mods in this thread, but I might write up my rocker repair later.

You can see my progress here:
full size axle thread

Truly a great thread!!!! I will be sure to check in on a regular basis.
All I can say is..............Thanks, Great Job!

Back