Leaf Spring Question/Idea/Thingy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Spring Question/Idea/Thingy

AlexSport'00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
GONE: 2000 Explorer Sport
Alrighty. I've been wondering. So, I bought some used leaf springs off a 4-door to go on my sport, which has been great. Unfortunately, the bushing are going bad on it and they are making that stupid creaking noise. I found new bushing, but I can't bring myself to pay almost $50 for a few little pieces of rubber at the moment. I'll get some later, but I just started college so I can't just drop $50 like that. So I've been thinking of round about ways of solving the issue, and I think I have one, so tell me everything that's wrong with my idea please, lol.
So, first, I saw the spring build involving F-150 springs, and my thoughts are to do something similar. I was thinking that I could take the lower leafs off the 4-door pack and put them on my old monoleaf and make it a multileaf. Pros here would be that the bushings are still good (yay), plus I feel like the monoleaf would be stronger than the 4-door's main leaf, which would just provide all sorts of fun things like an even better ride after the addition of more leafs. Also it would be free (minus a few hours of time...when I would normally be doing nothing anyway). Would this work? Anything I just say make sense? Is any of it correct? :scratch: Thanks! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spend $50..... If you can get all the bushings for that price do it. If you wanna cheap out lube the exsisting bushings, $6 a can and it outta last a while. Squirt to squeek ratio will be good for you

Sorry, you can pull the one pack apart to add to your exsisting pack. The only thing you'd need to worry about is the stiffness of the spring and the guestimation of any lift you may receive. Not to mention 2 things. One if not properly put installed your leaves can spin around on you in the pack. Two your springs can create vs your bushings.

Alright. Thanks. I'm not worried about any extra lift (I actually would like some). But maybe I'll just do the bushings once I've got some loose change since I'll have to do it eventually anyways.

What are you doing with a 4 door leaf pack if your not looking for any lift?

What are you doing with a 4 door leaf pack if your not looking for any lift?

Well, I wanted it to bring me back to stock height, but I never expected it to go father than that, and it didn't.

Im broke, And I know how it can be, But IMO I'd just drop $50 and do it right... You can sell something to come up with $50 and have new bushings!

Yeah. My father is gonna let me use some super fancy lithium grease stuff that he just got, so I'll just put a bunch on them and hope that will help for now. It's annoying, cause I had planned on shackles with this $50 that I've got to spend, and these just don't seem worth that much money...but I don't have tons of options. I will hopefully be getting a new job though, since my other one was just for the summer, so I'll have some money to spend...assuming it doesn't all go to college books -_-

By the way, I ended up replacing the bushings. Pain in the ass, but worth it, Everything in the back is fine now. Another squeak was from the leaves themselves cause the pads were worn. I ordered these http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/catalog/Leaf_Spring_Tip_Inserts-198-1.html I think it took a total of 3 business days to get here. Ordered on Thursday at like 9, got here on Tuesday. Easy to slip in. Used a screwdriver and a crow bar to make a gap between the leaves, then they slid right in.

Back