• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Spring Upgrade for '98 Sport

CHAZ98X

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 4x4
Hi everyone, I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum and building my "new" '98 4x4 Explorer.

As I was crawling under the Explorer the other day I noticed the Mono-leaf in the rear as well as a lot of bounce when driving over bumps around town. I was about to put on a WAR-153 shackle and do a 1.5" TT up front, but after noticing the springs in the rear I think I'd rather change them out.

My question is: Can I take a complete leaf pack out of another vehicle (Jeep Comanche, Ranger, Chevy, F-150) and get 1.5" to 2" in the rear? I don't mind if the ride is stiffer. I called a few wrecking yards and they want $45 per leaf pack out of a 4-door Explorer. I figured if I'm going to the trouble to change out the leaf packs I might try to get a couple inches out of it.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 door springs are the quickest and easiest way to get rid of butt sag on your Sport (been there, done that).

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the fast replies!

My Explorer is pretty level so I don't think it has that much rear sag.

Has anybody heard of or done a leaf pack swap from another vehicle (besides a 4-door Explorer) to gain extra inches?

Thanks for the fast replies!

My Explorer is pretty level so I don't think it has that much rear sag.

Has anybody heard of or done a leaf pack swap from another vehicle (besides a 4-door Explorer) to gain extra inches?
If you're experiencing bouncing, the problem isn't your springs, it's your shocks. The springs job of a suspension system is to cushion bumps and what not. Your shock absorbers, "shocks," control the recoil/shock made by the springs.

Back