Leaking Antifreeze, please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking Antifreeze, please help

jbwilson3791

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Okay so I had a coolant flush about 2 months ago, admittedly I am not sure what type of antifreeze is standard for an 04 explorer but it had green in it and they replaced it with orange. However, for the last 3 weeks or so, even though they flushed it and filled it with orange antifreeze, only green has been leaking from this spot, not sure if that's relevant. But does anyone know what this part is called and how I go about fixing the leak? Thanks in advance

FDkWxl7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay so I had a coolant flush about 2 months ago, admittedly I am not sure what type of antifreeze is standard for an 04 explorer but it had green in it and they replaced it with orange. However, for the last 3 weeks or so, even though they flushed it and filled it with orange antifreeze, only green has been leaking from this spot, not sure if that's relevant. But does anyone know what this part is called and how I go about fixing the leak? Thanks in advance

If you are talking about the green colored residue on the Air Conditioning tube/hose connection in your pic, I would say what you are seeing is not Antifreeze coolant, but rather AC system leak detecting dye that is leaking out from the AC line. Not sure if the Orange colored coolant is the right coolant for your Explorer. I would check on that just to be sure. I know Ford makes a Gold colored coolant and Green colored coolant is aftermarket brands like Prestone and others you can buy at any auto parts store. The Ford Gold and aftermarket brand Green coolants are okay to use in our Explorers.

If you are talking about the green colored residue on the Air Conditioning tube/hose connection in your pic, I would say what you are seeing is not Antifreeze coolant, but rather AC system leak detecting dye that is leaking out from the AC line. Not sure if the Orange colored coolant is the right coolant for your Explorer. I would check on that just to be sure. I know Ford makes a Gold colored coolant and Green colored coolant is aftermarket brands like Prestone and others you can buy at any auto parts store. The Ford Gold and aftermarket brand Green coolants are okay to use in our Explorers.

Okay thanks. I feel dumb now! I didn't think that was a coolant hose but had no idea why any fluid coming out would be green. It's been about 30 degrees all month so I haven't really used the AC at all but everytime I clean it off the fluid comes back. Not much but always some.

I think that the AC leak dye is UV florescent, so if you have a UV light you could check if it glows or not.

LMHmedchem

Mine Exp had orange/pink anti-freeze in it when I got it and it was low. I added Prestone DexCool in the grey bottle. I don't remember the exact color. Orange or Pink.

But your leak is a A/C hose leak.

Thanks guys. Very helpful. Leave it to jiffy lube to screw something up, on that same trip they added 7 extra quarts to my transmission when I wanted that flushed also. Any recommendations on fixing the AC leak? Would a seal conditioner do it on such a small leak?

Should never let anyone but the dealer touch the transmission or transfer case. Except maybe a transmission only specialty shop. A quickie lube place has a high probability of putting the wrong fluid in them.

I don't think that part of the pipe/hose is a section that comes apart for seal replacement. I believe that hose/pipe assembly is going to have to be replaced and it's not cheap. Don't know if you have rear a/c or not, this is for models without rear a/c.

$168.99 for Motorcraft YF2709
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=380228&cc=1414493&jnid=528&jpid=25

4Seasons brand is a bit cheaper.

Should never let anyone but the dealer touch the transmission or transfer case. Except maybe a transmission only specialty shop. A quickie lube place has a high probability of putting the wrong fluid in them.

I don't think that part of the pipe/hose is a section that comes apart for seal replacement. I believe that hose/pipe assembly is going to have to be replaced and it's not cheap. Don't know if you have rear a/c or not, this is for models without rear a/c.

$168.99 for Motorcraft YF2709
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=380228&cc=1414493&jnid=528&jpid=25

4Seasons brand is a bit cheaper.

Thanks for finding that for me! And yes, definitely learned my lesson. On any future new cars, I'll use the dealership. On this car, I'll learn and do everything myself. Just did the ball joints and flushed the transmission correctly this week, also replaced a pinion seal and an axle seal.

Thanks for finding that for me! And yes, definitely learned my lesson. On any future new cars, I'll use the dealership. On this car, I'll learn and do everything myself. Just did the ball joints and flushed the transmission correctly this week, also replaced a pinion seal and an axle seal.

Ya I'm looking at rebuilding the rear differential myself soon, don't think I can do $1200 for a re-manufactured one.

Since I hate the new explorers (mainly due to the transverse engine and it being more of a crossover now) my next vehicle will most likely be a Toyota 4Runner 4X4. Probably not for another 5 to 10 years though.

Ya I'm looking at rebuilding the rear differential myself soon, don't think I can do $1200 for a re-manufactured one.

Since I hate the new explorers (mainly due to the transverse engine and it being more of a crossover now) my next vehicle will most likely be a Toyota 4Runner 4X4. Probably not for another 5 to 10 years though.

Same here. I have always loved forerunners, just not the price. But I will own one eventually.

Back