lean 0171 and 0174 1999 5.0

HeavyEX

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 AWD EB Explorer
Ok,
So I have been lurking for quite a few years, and normally I am able to find enough info here to fix my problems. This time I can't quite get it.

I have a 99 5.0 explorer and started getting the 0171 and 0174 codes recently, I would like to tinker with it forever to find the fix, but I have to smog it soon so I kind of have to get it fixed quickly. The car runs good in my opinion and doesn't seem to shake, shutter or have a lack of power. Sometimes if I am extremely hard on the Throttle it does seem to have a little trouble shifiting up into the next gear though.

I have checked and checked and checked for vacuum leaks and have not found one. I did blow through the intake (with a hose attached to a peanut butter jar clamped in the intake hose) and heard air coming out the IAC...wasn't sure if air should come out of the IAC with the car off or not, so I took the IAC off and watched the plunger while my wife turned the key on. The plunger didn't really move, just one little popping sound. It does the same thing every time the key is turned on, but never closes. If I unplug the IAC while the car is running, the idle drop is negligible if any at all...however when I plug it back in the idle surges for a split second.

I put a piece of cardboard between the IAC and the mount and blocked off the air from it. I drove around all night and read the codes and there were no pending codes except for idle underspeed since the idle had dropped to around 500 or so due to blocking off the IAC...but no lean codes like I normally get. So I bought a new IAC. However before I bolted it on, I plugged it in and turned the key on. All it did was make a popping sound too, but never closed.

My question is, is this normal? Should the valve close? What sensor tells the ECM to close the IAC? I did not want to use the new IAC if it wouldn't fix my problem because I could still take it back. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

P.S. I have also cleaned my MAF and tested the voltage on it and it appears to be functioning properly as well.

After replacing a ton of parts, it turns out I think the fuel pump was the issue. It seems like I have it fixed for now.

Back