Lease End Question Regarding Return or Buyout | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lease End Question Regarding Return or Buyout

It is real tempting to take advantage of the low finance rates at this time, not knowing what rates will do in another 2-3 years etc Plus the fact I have super low miles on the 13. Having said that, with the MY15 Sport just around the corner its a real hard decision.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tmg
No need to put any money down. On a lease you are really only reducing the amount you pay over the term (reducing payment, amount over term stays the same based on value calculated) rather than anything else. Usually best to go in with 0 down and just pay any mandated fees. Also just because its a lease does not mean you accept the number they come back with, haggle and research as you would with a full financed purchase.

At end of lease you can either turn in and walk away, purchase vehicle at contracted buy out price or move on to another vehicle. Sometimes Ford Motor Credit will send out incentives to get you into another lease, special rate, money off etc

Hope that helps

WC

Back on topic to lease end questions.

I have never leased, but I can see the reason for doing it.

One question to Ford leasers. Generally when you first a lease a vehicle, and assuming you have nothing to trade it, you have to put a couple grand down to get a good monthly payment. When your lease expires - and if you are below you mileage allowance and have kept your Ford in great condition, can you trade up to a new vehicle lease without putting any money down - in essence making your existing leased vehicle your "trade-in" considering Ford can sell it for more than they expected to?

Know people who done this when going to another auto maker where I am sure they wanted to take business away form a competitor. Curious if people have been able to do this with Ford from lease to lease.

Back on topic to lease end questions.

I have never leased, but I can see the reason for doing it.

One question to Ford leasers. Generally when you first a lease a vehicle, and assuming you have nothing to trade it, you have to put a couple grand down to get a good monthly payment. When your lease expires - and if you are below you mileage allowance and have kept your Ford in great condition, can you trade up to a new vehicle lease without putting any money down - in essence making your existing leased vehicle your "trade-in" considering Ford can sell it for more than they expected to?

Know people who done this when going to another auto maker where I am sure they wanted to take business away form a competitor. Curious if people have been able to do this with Ford from lease to lease.
My Explorer is my 5th leased vehicle and come next March I will lease again. I like to get a new vehicle every 3 - 4 years. With my As Wildcat_1 explained, you go in the same way you would as if you were buying it. Get the best price you can. In my case, I put $10k down in order to reduce the monthly payment. Others prefer to go with $0 down and have a larger monthly payment. I also put down $6250 as a refundable security payment. The amount reduced the interest fee by 1.50% and is refunded at lease end. I don't believe this option is available in the U.S. The other thing I like about leasing is that I only pay tax on the monthly payment for the duration of the lease. If I were to initially buy the vehicle, I would have to pay tax on the entire cost of it. If the vehicle is in very good shape and low mileage, you could explore the option of selling it privately and then paying the dealer the equivalent of the residual value. I know my dealer is anxious to get mine back because after 4 years it will probably only have around 14k miles on it. I'm hoping to use that in getting a better deal on the next one. My lease is through Ford Credit Canada.
As I've posted before, I look at a lease as an extended test drive. If I really like it, I can buy it at lease end. If it turns out to be a problematic vehicle then I can simply return it and walk away from it at lease end.

Peter

Need Some Guidance - Lease End Buyout

All

As you know I am contemplating a lease end buyout and have some questions and concerns I wanted to pose here:

1) Is the lease end buyout amount on your lease contract negotiable ? Dealer is saying speak to Ford Motor Credit. Ford Motor Credit is stating speak with dealer. Anyone successfully negotiated this ?

2) The contract lease end date do you have a grace period if you are buying out and cannot make the date ? Ford Motor Credit say they see no reason why you cannot go to the dealer up to 7 days after to finalize (no phone calls nothing needed according to them), dealer is saying must be by contract date. Again anyone had success with this. I cannot get to the dealer until about 2 days after lease end

Thanks

WC

Yes price is negotiable but dealer wont admit it, if you dont have warranty on explorer get it and negotiate itinto deal....!

Yes price is negotiable but dealer wont admit it, if you dont have warranty on explorer get it and negotiate itinto deal....!

I barely have 18k on the expy so full warranty just wondering if I can bargain at this stage since dealer knows I want to buy and had numbers run as an idea. Not sure if I have bargaining chip at this point. First time thinking lease buyout so was not aware.

What about buying out past lease end date I mention above

You always have a bargaining chip, its called walking away. You are the buyer, and until you sign the deal you have the power. Negotiate the deal and if they wont work with you or you just cant both come to a deal that makes you both happy, then walk away.

That or just pay what they are asking and always wonder to yourself if you got screwed, because you probably did.

You always have a bargaining chip, its called walking away. You are the buyer, and until you sign the deal you have the power. Negotiate the deal and if they wont work with you or you just cant both come to a deal that makes you both happy, then walk away.

That or just pay what they are asking and always wonder to yourself if you got screwed, because you probably did.

Not really in these cases. The dealer doesn't really care if you buy it out or not, they would actually prefer you didn't so they could sell you a new one. If you don't buy it out the vehicle goes to auction anyway, it's not like they keep it to resell.

All

As you know I am contemplating a lease end buyout and have some questions and concerns I wanted to pose here:

1) Is the lease end buyout amount on your lease contract negotiable ? Dealer is saying speak to Ford Motor Credit. Ford Motor Credit is stating speak with dealer. Anyone successfully negotiated this ?

2) The contract lease end date do you have a grace period if you are buying out and cannot make the date ? Ford Motor Credit say they see no reason why you cannot go to the dealer up to 7 days after to finalize (no phone calls nothing needed according to them), dealer is saying must be by contract date. Again anyone had success with this. I cannot get to the dealer until about 2 days after lease end

Thanks

WC
I doubt that there is much room if any to negotiate the end buyout. For one thing you signed the lease agreement/contract with the residual value clearly stated. If you intend on buying it, that would mean that you are negotiating the price for a second time. As for the return date, I would think the dealer would have the say on that if you are buying it out. If this becomes a sticking point, offer to put a down payment on it. Perhaps the dealer is afraid you may change your mind after the return date has passed.
I had intentions of buying mine but after figuring out all the costs, fees and taxes, came to the conclusion that the total cost would pay for 2+ years of a new lease so I'll be leasing again.
I know the dealer wants mine back because by next March the total mileage should be around 18K miles.

I'm going to merge this with your previous thread on more or less the same topic.

Peter

If it turns out to be a problematic vehicle then I can simply return it and walk away from it at lease end.

Yes....but had you purchased it in the first place....you could have sold it when you choose and not have to deal with the problem vehicle for the full four years of your lease.....Yes I know that there will be depreciation if you had purchased it....but don't kid yourself....that is all rolled into your monthly lease payment as well. I personally prefer not to have perpetual payments, so I always purchase versus lease....just my personal choice. :D

Yes....but had you purchased it in the first place....you could have sold it when you choose and not have to deal with the problem vehicle for the full four years of your lease.....Yes I know that there will be depreciation if you had purchased it....but don't kid yourself....that is all rolled into your monthly lease payment as well. I personally prefer not to have perpetual payments, so I always purchase versus lease....just my personal choice. :D
That is exactly what it always come down to, personal choice. I just don't like giving the government all their tax money at once and in the case of a lease, they don't get it all (at least not from me) the way they would on a sale. I also like the security of being able to see that money sitting in my savings account. If I personally don't make it to lease end then I'll let my estate look after it.:D:thumbsup:

Peter

The terms of the lease are negotiable at the time you acquire the vehicle. Call around to various dealers and you will find different quotes for the money factor and residual. The dealer's financing arm has a base rate, and the dealer can mark up from there.

At lease end, there's not much you can do with the dealer to negotiate the buyout cost of your existing lease. The financing arm owns the car and is responsible for disposition costs, not the dealer. The dealer's incentive is to get you into another new car.

If you choose to buy another new car from the dealer, there is room to negotiate from your lease. I have been given a trade in credit on my lease to put down on the next car. So, if you turn in a lease with low miles in good condition, its value may be worth more than the buyout clause, giving you some trade in credit. If you the dealer won't credit that value, you could buy the lease out, immediately turn around and sell it, then have some money in your pocket for your next car. A PITA, but could save you some bucks.

Lastly, as others have mentioned, check the tax implications. for Virginia, I pay the sales tax on the new vehicle whether I lease or buy it. But if I buy out the lease, I do not owe any more tax since I already paid it.

That is exactly what it always come down to, personal choice. I just don't like giving the government all their tax money at once and in the case of a lease, they don't get it all (at least not from me) the way they would on a sale. I also like the security of being able to see that money sitting in my savings account. If I personally don't make it to lease end then I'll let my estate look after it.:D:thumbsup:

Peter

Don't kid yourself.....you dropped almost $17K when you signed to lower your payments and interest rate. You basically let them use your (almost) refundable $7K for four years and all you got in return was a lower interest rate of 1.5%? You would have been better off investing that money....you could make a helluva lot more interest than what it is saving you. The government is getting it's money from you no matter whether you buy or lease......;)

Don't kid yourself.....you dropped almost $17K when you signed to lower your payments and interest rate. You basically let them use your (almost) refundable $7K for four years and all you got in return was a lower interest rate of 1.5%? You would have been better off investing that money....you could make a helluva lot more interest than what it is saving you. The government is getting it's money from you no matter whether you buy or lease......;)
The $10k I would have paid anyway in higher monthly payments and interest on the $6250 (amount corrected from $6750)) would have been minimal compared to the savings given today's rates. As unusual as it may sound, I'm in a position where I don't really need more income. Besides, the government will get part of that too, one way or another. But you are correct. The government always gets it dues, even if you 'kick the bucket'.:)

Peter

The interest on the $6250 (amount corrected from $6750)) would have been minimal compared to the savings given today's rates.

That assumes that you would leave it in a lowly savings account or GIC.....many mutual funds have been averaging over 10% the last five years and over 20% last year alone!!!

Good for you though Peter to be in a position to have more than enough to support yourself.....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Too many people your age (or close to retirement) are struggling by not having responsibly saved for their retirement...the debt to income ratio in the US and Canada is off the charts these days. Too many people spending beyond their means and leasing cars they can't afford. Sure, they can make the monthly payments....but if they can't afford to buy it....they really can't afford to lease it...just another perpetual payment that they can't resist...

Datascan just inspected my 2012 Explorer Limited whose lease was up (24 mos). The guy wrote a something about scratched rear backup sensor, but that was it. Car was pretty dirty but its been impossible to get a car wash in NJ with all the snow. Nonetheless, no excessive wear found, and didn't think they would.

I turn it in this week hopefully when my Explorer Sport gets in! Cant wait.

Ford Motor Credit lease end

Not sure where to post this to get the most accurate responses.

I have 2 payments remaining on my 2013 Edge. I am in the process of lease transfer of equity on a FMC 2014 Explorer which should be done within the next week

Am I allowed to simply turn the Edge back to the Ford dealer after the independent lease inception done by data scan without making the last payments and wait for a "final bill" or do I have to make the two payments prior to the drop off at dealer and odometer disclosure statement?

Welcome to the Forum LI Explorer.:wavey:
I merged your thread with this one.
I think your dealer or Ford Financial would be in the best position to answer your concerns. I had a year left on my 4 year 2011 Limited lease when the dealer made an offer that was hard to turn down on a new MKT. They took the Explorer and I assume paid off the remaining year on the lease and then bought it from Ford. They sold it the same week. I didn't have to do anything with the Explorer, including a final inspection.

Peter

Own an Infiniti but looked at new ford Ex. Infiniti used to grant 3 months lease forgiveness on a new Infiniti but this last go around the dealer said any lease forgiveness came out of the next deal. Dealer agreed to pay last month lease payment, but from the numbers we saw the dealer paid Infiniti Finance for that payment. That being said, Infiniti gave us equity in another deal off of a lease towards a down payment on a new Infiniti. Unsure what Ford does to keep customers loyal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2016 lease is up in July, other than clean it out and turn it in to Ford, is there any advice from others that have done this in the past. Ford says to just bring it in and turn in the keys, they will examine it and send a bill if there is any damages that are found during the inspection

Frank

Back