LED bulbs, resistors and flasher relays | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED bulbs, resistors and flasher relays

rcaffyn

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey shore
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Sport Trac
OK, as we all now know, there is NO flasher module on any of the Gen II Sport Tracs. Flashing is controlled by the software in the computer. LED bulbs will work fine for your parking, turn and brake lights. However, if you just swap out the bulbs, the bulbs will "hyperflash" and you will get an "error" message on your dash to check the bulbs. You will need a resistor to make them function normally. The resistor is "jumped" between the following wire colors:
RR: violet/orange to black/yellow
LR: grey/brown to black/yellow
RF: yellow/violet to black/grey
LF: blue/green to black/green
If it all goes well, your new LED bulbs should function as normal. I, on the other hand, got the rears to work, but, when the resistors were connected to the fronts, I lost the "parking" light function and the bulbs hyperflashed when the turn signals were activated. (along with the error message in the dash)
OK, does anyone know what I did wrong? I tried other combinations of wire colors to no avail. That only made the situation worse. Any help would be appreciated. Bob :(

CanAdren, yeah, I ordered a set of the CAN-bus bulbs from them last night. Wasn't too sure if they would work in my STA, but since its a Canadian truck, you gave me hope, Thanks, Bob

You shouldn't have a problem with them.

Back