LED turn signal how-to (front & rear) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED turn signal how-to (front & rear)

BrightLites, I checked out your dome and maplight solutions.

I'm all for capitolism, but those prices are absurd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked out your dome and maplight solutions.

I'm all for capitolism, but those prices are absurd.
Hi AWAKE33,
Converting these dome lights is not a simple or quick process and the price reflects that fact. We tried doing just a simple LED swap on the internal circuit board like some members have done, but the light output was terrible and not even as bright as the stock dome. All you get from a simple LED bulb swap is white color and less light.

As a company we have chosen only to develop and produce products that substantially improves the performance of the stock light. We received a lot of LED dome light inquiries from Explorer owners who purchased our LED puddle lights and most asked for a much brighter light along with the white LED color.

The only way we found to increase the brightness was to heavily modify the stock dome light to allow for the two large format LED panels. Modifying the light bezel, housing and reflector is very labor intensive and all done by hand. We also have to produce a product that is dependable, long lasting and warrantable. To accomplish this, we have to use components and assembly techniques that are more robust than those a DIY'er would use to make their own. All of this adds cost.

We have had a great response from customers so far and sales are going very well.

ExplorerBanner_zps85c57fac.gif

Do you have 2nd row lights for those that don't have a moon/sunroof? I only see the cargo lights or side mounted 2nd row in your pics.

Do you have 2nd row lights for those that don't have a moon/sunroof? I only see the cargo lights or side mounted 2nd row in your pics.

He has them.

I really don't want to hijack Harley's thread. Give me a day or two and I will be starting a new thread in the classifieds describing all of the Explorer LED and HID lighting products we offer. Thanks. Dan Smith

We have two LED dome light options. The single button rear cargo (Explorers with and without sunroof) and the dual button dome light (Explorers without sunroof).

Hi AWAKE33,
Converting these dome lights is not a simple or quick process and the price reflects that fact. We tried doing just a simple LED swap on the internal circuit board like some members have done, but the light output was terrible and not even as bright as the stock dome. All you get from a simple LED bulb swap is white color and less light.

As a company we have chosen only to develop and produce products that substantially improves the performance of the stock light. We received a lot of LED dome light inquiries from Explorer owners who purchased our LED puddle lights and most asked for a much brighter light along with the white LED color.

The only way we found to increase the brightness was to heavily modify the stock dome light to allow for the two large format LED panels. Modifying the light bezel, housing and reflector is very labor intensive and all done by hand. We also have to produce a product that is dependable, long lasting and warrantable. To accomplish this, we have to use components and assembly techniques that are more robust than those a DIY'er would use to make their own. All of this adds cost.

We have had a great response from customers so far and sales are going very well.

I understand what you are explaining, but I'm still skeptical.

I also don't trust a company that arranges before/after pictures in the manner that you have. In your before shots, you have a piece of heavy stock paper blocking the cargo light on the left. You not do not have that light blocked in the after shot, and the cargo light on the left has been upgraded to LED. There is also evidence of heavy dynamic HDR manipulation in the after shots in an attempt to make the difference even more dramatic than it is. Lastly, it appears you used a higher F-stop than necessary in the before shot to produce a dimmer picture.

I understand what you are explaining, but I'm still skeptical.

I also don't trust a company that arranges before/after pictures in the manner that you have. In your before shots, you have a piece of heavy stock paper blocking the cargo light on the left. You not do not have that light blocked in the after shot, and the cargo light on the left has been upgraded to LED. There is also evidence of heavy dynamic HDR manipulation in the after shots in an attempt to make the difference even more dramatic than it is. Lastly, it appears you used a higher F-stop than necessary in the before shot to produce a dimmer picture.

Hi Awake,
Please do not think we did this on purpose. The cargo light cover was not intentional and we meant to cover it on our LED dome photo, but forgot to. We will be re shooting the photo with it blocked.

We do not know enough about photography to purposely manipulate the images. The camera we use is a simple point and shoot with very few custom setting options. We basically look at the scene with our eye and with the little settings control we do have, and do our best to match the display to what we are seeing. The photos you see are a pretty accurate comparison.

We were not intentionally trying to deceive anyone. We do not do business that way and would not be in business as long as we have, if we did. Our customers are very happy with our products and most say our products exceeded their expectations.

I will post a reply when we have changed the photo. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Props to you guys for the explanation; to me that demonstrates a genuine desire to do right by your customers.

Thank you, I just might order that rear domelight kit you have.

Props to you guys for the explanation; to me that demonstrates a genuine desire to do right by your customers.

Thank you, I just might order that rear domelight kit you have.

I appreciate you hearing me out. Many thanks, Dan

I replaced my rear turn signals for red LED's. Much brighter then the amber stock bulb and in my opinion so much cleaner look. Did not need resistors.

http://youtu.be/5Lu2R15ux0s

Would please share what type of bulbs you used for the turn signals and where you got them?

I bought the LED's from Diode Dynamics. The model is called XP80 (7443 bulb size) with 580 lumen - a white as back-up light and a red as turn signal. They're much brighter than stock so I'm very happy with the result.

Question

Just got my explorer sport and already ordered the black ford logos to change out the blue but thinking of doing this mod as well to give it a cleaner look.

If I am reading everything correct if I get these lights from ebay then I should not have any hyper flashing issues since it is a higher watt?

Thanks for your help, I am new to this and read the whole thread but just wanted to confirm. Thanks for your all your help and post!

Welcome to the Forum Cloud9flyer.:wavey:
Enjoy your Sport and happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Just got my explorer sport and already ordered the black ford logos to change out the blue but thinking of doing this mod as well to give it a cleaner look.

If I am reading everything correct if I get these lights from ebay then I should not have any hyper flashing issues since it is a higher watt?

Thanks for your help, I am new to this and read the whole thread but just wanted to confirm. Thanks for your all your help and post!

Did you end up getting these [MENTION=266171]Cloud9flyer[/MENTION] ?

Did you end up getting these [MENTION=266171]Cloud9flyer[/MENTION] ?

Yes I did...I got hyper flashing once in awhile with them so I was going to send them back to the ebay guy and he actually offered to send me resistors free of charge. Got those and installed them and now they work and look great! I posted pics in this thread.

For those that have them, where did you attach the resistors?

I've never done it... looks easy enough to wire up... but wondering about heat issues.

My experience was if you replace 2 turn signals you need resistors, replace 4 bulbs I didn't. Was told the BCM doesn't like the higher current incandescent bulbs mixed with the lower drawing LEDs, thus the hyper flashing.

Can't beat the crisp on and off of the LEDs as to the fading on and off of incandescent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When checking for LED bulbs on different e-bay sites they mentioned something about CK type sockets and standard sockets. What is difference, and which ones does Explorer XLT have?

crrobbins

Back