LED turn signal how-to (front & rear) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED turn signal how-to (front & rear)

4 bulbs, as in rear turn signal + reverse lights?

or 4 bulbs as in front + back turn signals?

(or would either combo solve the hyperflash

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 bulbs, as in rear turn signal + reverse lights?

or 4 bulbs as in front + back turn signals?

(or would either combo solve the hyperflash

4 bulbs as in front and back turns

For those that have them, where did you attach the resistors?

I've never done it... looks easy enough to wire up... but wondering about heat issues.

I mounted them to a metal screw in there, but if it is just a turn signal I would not worry too much about it getting too hot. I assume it is only "working" when the turn signal is on and that is never for very long so I doubt it gets too hot.

Do you have to take using the emergency (4 way) flashers into account? When they are used they usually are operating for an extended period of time.

Peter

I mounted them to a metal screw in there, but if it is just a turn signal I would not worry too much about it getting too hot. I assume it is only "working" when the turn signal is on and that is never for very long so I doubt it gets too hot.

You will be surprised how hot the resistors get within a 1-2 minute period based on a 50 watt 6 ohm resistor. At least I was when I had them.:scratch:

Winter is coming, that will cool them down.

winter is coming. all men must die ;)

you'd be surprised how long a turn signal can be on to make a left hand turn in los angeles. and also how its like 90 degrees here still in "winter".

winter is coming. all men must die ;)

you'd be surprised how long a turn signal can be on to make a left hand turn in los angeles. and also how its like 90 degrees here still in "winter".
Maybe the old Lakers will get hot as the weather.:thumbsup:

Question. I've installed LEDs on vehicles before, and to combat the hyper blink caused by the lower load of the LED I've replaced the flasher with a HD unit.

Anyone tried doing this instead of using a load resistor?

Looking to do this mod and would like to go with the red Cree bulbs but the ebay link here says they aren't compatible with a 2013 xlt explorer.

So after coming upon this thread and reading the whole thing I realized many of the links were dead, so I did some more research based off this thread.

Rear turn signals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290784945970?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These are CREE LED's with the projection lense as well as side LED's. Brilliant Red 7440/7443 T20 LED Light bulbs with 5W Cree Q5 chip and 12x 5050 SMD chips. There are total of 12 Large 5050 SMD LED chips per bulb (each Large 5050 SMD LED chip has 3 light emitters), plus one Cree Q5 5W chip on top with magnified optical lens, make it a total of 7W power.

I installed these this morning and so far they work great. No hyperflashing and no resistors to install. Time will tell if hyperflashing will happen down the road. They look plenty bright on their own in the daylight and will only be better at night. I like these also because they have the side LED's so they will illuminate the entire housing, not just a red dot.

WP_20141229_10_42_02_Pro_zpsdfa1f302.jpg

Front turn signals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111021444676?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought these bulbs for the front turn signals however they are coming from overseas and I do not have them yet. I tried to find bulbs comparable to the bulbs Harley found (which weren't available anymore) and found these. Each bulb contains 18 5050 3-chip SMD LED's. They should work fine and once I receive them I'll post up a picture and thoughts.

I have done my front and back and ended up needed resistors for both. They both worked fine until it was dark and then the hyperflashing started. For whatever reason having the headlights on caused them to hyper flash. Resistors are super easy to install so I would just do it if you are putting in a new bulb anyways.

Dang, well so far so good. With headlights on, running lights on they are working normally. I measured the stock bulb and it has .5 ohms of resistance which is lower than I thought it would be. I didn't get a chance to measure the LED bulb before I put it in but when I get a chance I will.

I didn't end up needing to install the resistors. Obviously according to these other posters, YMMV... but for what reason, idk.

These are the ones I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-7443-744...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e29141de&vxp=mtr . The seller, dt-autotech, sent resistors free of charge.

There's 5 LEDs, and I don't notice any hotspots, but my taillights are also tinted with a red film. They are quite bright- any brighter would be dangerous!

Attachments

• taillight wrap.jpg
    taillight wrap.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 505

I'd x the Sport badge from the rear window. If it's not on the tailgate, then there seems no point.

I'd x the Sport badge from the rear window. If it's not on the tailgate, then there seems no point.

I'd tell you that if I wanted your opinion, I'd ask for it... but, then.. there seems no point.

One of the consequences of posting in a forum is that you will at times receive comments regarding the content of your post, whether they are solicited or not.

Peter

Dang, well so far so good. With headlights on, running lights on they are working normally. I measured the stock bulb and it has .5 ohms of resistance which is lower than I thought it would be. I didn't get a chance to measure the LED bulb before I put it in but when I get a chance I will.

Yeah I have no idea what causes some to need resistors and some not to need them. Really strange but I am glad it is working out for you as it does look much better without the egg yolk!

I didn't end up needing to install the resistors. Obviously according to these other posters, YMMV... but for what reason, idk.

These are the ones I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-7443-744...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e29141de&vxp=mtr . The seller, dt-autotech, sent resistors free of charge.

There's 5 LEDs, and I don't notice any hotspots, but my taillights are also tinted with a red film. They are quite bright- any brighter would be dangerous!

What tint is that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back