LED turn signal how-to (front & rear) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED turn signal how-to (front & rear)

So after coming upon this thread and reading the whole thing I realized many of the links were dead, so I did some more research based off this thread.

Rear turn signals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290784945970?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These are CREE LED's with the projection lense as well as side LED's. Brilliant Red 7440/7443 T20 LED Light bulbs with 5W Cree Q5 chip and 12x 5050 SMD chips. There are total of 12 Large 5050 SMD LED chips per bulb (each Large 5050 SMD LED chip has 3 light emitters), plus one Cree Q5 5W chip on top with magnified optical lens, make it a total of 7W power.

I installed these this morning and so far they work great. No hyperflashing and no resistors to install. Time will tell if hyperflashing will happen down the road. They look plenty bright on their own in the daylight and will only be better at night. I like these also because they have the side LED's so they will illuminate the entire housing, not just a red dot.

WP_20141229_10_42_02_Pro_zpsdfa1f302.jpg

Front turn signals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111021444676?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought these bulbs for the front turn signals however they are coming from overseas and I do not have them yet. I tried to find bulbs comparable to the bulbs Harley found (which weren't available anymore) and found these. Each bulb contains 18 5050 3-chip SMD LED's. They should work fine and once I receive them I'll post up a picture and thoughts.

ive bought the same rear red cree turn signals for my 2014 sport and they work fine with no hyper flash or resistors needed. thanks again!! now for the front!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after coming upon this thread and reading the whole thing I realized many of the links were dead, so I did some more research based off this thread.

Rear turn signals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290784945970?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These are CREE LED's with the projection lense as well as side LED's. Brilliant Red 7440/7443 T20 LED Light bulbs with 5W Cree Q5 chip and 12x 5050 SMD chips. There are total of 12 Large 5050 SMD LED chips per bulb (each Large 5050 SMD LED chip has 3 light emitters), plus one Cree Q5 5W chip on top with magnified optical lens, make it a total of 7W power.

I installed these this morning and so far they work great. No hyperflashing and no resistors to install. Time will tell if hyperflashing will happen down the road. They look plenty bright on their own in the daylight and will only be better at night. I like these also because they have the side LED's so they will illuminate the entire housing, not just a red dot.

WP_20141229_10_42_02_Pro_zpsdfa1f302.jpg

Front turn signals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111021444676?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought these bulbs for the front turn signals however they are coming from overseas and I do not have them yet. I tried to find bulbs comparable to the bulbs Harley found (which weren't available anymore) and found these. Each bulb contains 18 5050 3-chip SMD LED's. They should work fine and once I receive them I'll post up a picture and thoughts.

Did you find any LEDs for the amber 194s up front.

Did you find any LEDs for the amber 194s up front.

Yeah, that's next on my list as the clear LED 194's are too bright on mine (since changing them) and creates a yellowish "hot spot" vs. the uniform Amber color across.

^^ that's frosted thou... in a clear lens/housing.

If you want it to look like LED, yes that would work - but if you can get a "domed" clear it will look OEM but LED.

Kinda hard to see in my photo this is with the style you have above but clear vs. amber. The amber should keep the color uniform.
20150507_182313-M.jpg

How did you end up replacing the front turn signal's? I can't seem to get the bold out even if I pull the hood slam protector off

jiggle/wiggle ;)

Yes I did...I got hyper flashing once in awhile with them so I was going to send them back to the ebay guy and he actually offered to send me resistors free of charge. Got those and installed them and now they work and look great! I posted pics in this thread.

Hey [MENTION=266171]Cloud9flyer[/MENTION] ... How are your LED brake/turn signals holding up?

I got some a number of months back from the same ebay seller. The right one stopped working... and knowing it could not have possibly "burned out" yet... I inspected it to see what the problem was. Well, one of the metal rods detached on the inside (underneath the red plastic housing)! They worked great until then... but a bump seems to have jarred it loose. Any ideas?

Have to ask a question that hopefully has a simple answer!!

I purchased some of the cree LED bulbs listed here and took off the rear taillight housing, however the reverse light and turn signal are a small round bulb in a plug in fixed housing. So question is how are these plug in type LEDS being installed in those housings? 2012 EX XLT

Thank you!

Have to ask a question that hopefully has a simple answer!!

I purchased some of the cree LED bulbs listed here and took off the rear taillight housing, however the reverse light and turn signal are a small round bulb in a plug in fixed housing. So question is how are these plug in type LEDS being installed in those housings? 2012 EX XLT

Thank you!

So after some digging it looks like my vehicle is "special" for some reason and has a stock number bulb of 12275. It also can be replaced with a 5202 LED.

So if anyone has the regular type bulbs in this ad and wants rear turn signal and reverse light bulbs I will make you a great deal!!

Off to the dealer tomorrow and online to order some LEDS!

So after some digging it looks like my vehicle is "special" for some reason and has a stock number bulb of 12275. It also can be replaced with a 5202 LED.

So if anyone has the regular type bulbs in this ad and wants rear turn signal and reverse light bulbs I will make you a great deal!!

Off to the dealer tomorrow and online to order some LEDS!

PM sent

I have replaced rear bulbs with LED both turn and reverse.
Its a PITA to have these bloody PS19W and PSY19W in my '11 Explorer. First, they are more expensive than W21W and second they don't really fit, had to do some adjustments (to cut projected pins with knife as they did not fit with seat on the light. I have no idea with purpose they serve, but they allow you to insert bulb in one way only, why they cannot be rotated 180 I still keep guessing!) and had to remove rubber rings on all them just because they did not fit at all with it. They sit firmly now and time will tell if dust does not penetrate inside.
No resistors required for rear turn signals, checked in both accessory mode and with engine running and observed no hyper flashing. Time will tell again here if I'm right. I afraid a bit they are way too bright, well much brighter than original turn bulbs for sure.
Reverse LED is ok though, brighter too than stock, but not so much. Even though they are the same specs, I think major difference is a bigger reflector in turn signal bay and thus turn LED seems brighter.
If anyone is in need of those LED for '11 and some '12 Explorers I chose those:
Turn LED: 5 COB LED H16 5202 5201 PSX24W Bulb Yellow Fog Light 7.5W
Reverse LED: 5 COB LED H16 5202 5201 PSX24W Bulb White Fog Light 7.5W
I've chosen non-polar bulbs to avoid non-lit situation as they can only be connected in one way, no 180deg turn option is here!

I need to deal with my front bulbs to be replaced for LED, waiting for yellow turn signals (The white ones I have are not yellow at all even under yellow glass), yellow side markers and festoon pad lights.

I have replaced rear bulbs with LED both turn and reverse.
Its a PITA to have these bloody PS19W and PSY19W in my '11 Explorer. First, they are more expensive than W21W and second they don't really fit, had to do some adjustments (to cut projected pins with knife as they did not fit with seat on the light. I have no idea with purpose they serve, but they allow you to insert bulb in one way only, why they cannot be rotated 180 I still keep guessing!) and had to remove rubber rings on all them just because they did not fit at all with it. They sit firmly now and time will tell if dust does not penetrate inside.
No resistors required for rear turn signals, checked in both accessory mode and with engine running and observed no hyper flashing. Time will tell again here if I'm right. I afraid a bit they are way too bright, well much brighter than original turn bulbs for sure.
Reverse LED is ok though, brighter too than stock, but not so much. Even though they are the same specs, I think major difference is a bigger reflector in turn signal bay and thus turn LED seems brighter.
If anyone is in need of those LED for '11 and some '12 Explorers I chose those:
Turn LED: 5 COB LED H16 5202 5201 PSX24W Bulb Yellow Fog Light 7.5W
Reverse LED: 5 COB LED H16 5202 5201 PSX24W Bulb White Fog Light 7.5W
I've chosen non-polar bulbs to avoid non-lit situation as they can only be connected in one way, no 180deg turn option is here!

I need to deal with my front bulbs to be replaced for LED, waiting for yellow turn signals (The white ones I have are not yellow at all even under yellow glass), yellow side markers and festoon pad lights.

I'm dealing with the same issue as you with the rear bulbs, and I haven't pulled the trigger yet on them. However I have replaced the front turn signals and maker lights with these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHTXWQS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JIHC36K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I am very happy with these. The light output when the parking lights are on is much brighter. I would say that they are only slightly brighter when on blinker. The light distribution is excellent, I couldn't tell the the difference between the incandescent and LED's.

2015 Explorer LED Conversion Solutions with Sylvnia ZEVO

Hello all -

I posted in a different thread about a nearly complete LED conversion on my 2015 Explorer Limited. I thought it might be helpful to link to it in this thread also.

Click here.

Cheers! :chug:

Thanks to this thread i was able to get the perfect setup for my 2016 Explorer Limited. It works perfect, no hyperflashing, etc. but i have a weird problem, the lights flash at normal rates but the indicator in the dashboard flash very fast, this only happens when i use the turn lights, if i use the parking lights the indicator flash at normal speed.

It's the "load" the system is expecting but doesn't get with LED. I've just learned to live with it since the function on the outside blinks like OEM. Just turn up the music a little ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what i do lol. Do you know if this can be fixed by using the resistors? Also, for the rear lights i have the LED with projectors, but it emits the lights as a circle, do you know a way to spread the light better (cover the entire reflector)?

Back