Left brake light/turn signal intermittant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Left brake light/turn signal intermittant

mikeymercboy

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have an ongoing problem with the left brake light and turn signal on my 2001 Explorer Sport. Seems that while driving it doesn't work, and even in Park it's not functioning. However, like tonight, I get home and shut the car off then turn the key on and it works like it's supposed to.

Bulbs are new, and I replaced the flasher as the OEM one was malfunctioning. Or possibly it was malfunctioning due to something else going on. When I would hit the left turn signal, it would flash rapidly, and sometimes it would function normally. In the end it was always flashing fast.

I've also visually checked the fuses too.

Any ideas?

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try replacing the flasher. That's what I call it. I don't know the proper name for the part. It could be a faulty flasher. Worth a try!

I'd suspect the multifunction switch/stalk.. Its a pretty cheap part and easily replacable.

if they are both on the same side,trace the ground wire on the connector. wherever it connects to the truck,it may be corroded

I'd suspect the multifunction switch/stalk.. Its a pretty cheap part and easily replacable.

Most likely, they go bad all the time, I replaced 2 in the past 3 years

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I'd like to add, the front turn signals work fine, and the arrows on the instrument cluster work also.

This Explorer spent some time up in the Michigan area from what I understand. If it were a bad ground, where would I want to look as far as the taillights are concerned?

Can I rule out the switch on the column based on this additional info?

Thanks again.

Mike

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I'd like to add, the front turn signals work fine, and the arrows on the instrument cluster work also.

This Explorer spent some time up in the Michigan area from what I understand. If it were a bad ground, where would I want to look as far as the taillights are concerned?

Can I rule out the switch on the column based on this additional info?

Thanks again.

Mike

follow the ground wire from the connector and see where it goes. also put a volt meter on the connector and give the harness a shake test to see if the output changes.

Back