Left turn signal and center brake light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Left turn signal and center brake light

No1Eman

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
On my 2002 Explorer, I have had an intermittent problem that seems to have finally become permanent. My left rear turn signal and left brake light as well as my center brake light don't work. The right side works fine. My left running light works, and the reverse light works. The front left turn signal light works as well, although it flashes at a much higher rate than normal. No, the bulb isn't bad, nor is the socket bad...I swapped the socket with the one on the right, and the problem doesn't move. what wire is common to both the tail light AND the center stoplight? And where is it? Has anyone encountered this problem before? They are both on the same fuse and the fuse is good. I figure it has to be a bad wire or a short, I just can't seem to trace it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no1eman,
That's funny you mention this problem.....
I just had a very similar problem with my boat trailer, only the parking and running lights would work, but the turn signal and brake would not work on one side. I beat my head against the wall for a week trying everything, then...it came to me what it might be.
I checked the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and sure enough, a blown fuse.
I am not familiar enough with the X models after 1999 yet, so you I can't direct you to the exact fuses you could check. I hadn't even thought about checking fuses under the hood, but had already checked the ones in the interior and they were good. Maybe you might have a similar case here? Hope it might be that easy for you...give it a look.
Good luck,
Ken
BTW, just check your owners manual for proper fuse locations. Check both interior AND under the hood locations, you might be surprised. I have only had my 05 for 5 days now....

I appreciate your response. I had already checked that out. I found the fuse box under the hood, and the one in the dash. There is another box under the dash that has some relays in it, but the owner's manual doesn't say what that one has in it. I ordered a chilton's manual from the local auto parts store for the schematic.

Did you find out what the problem was? I'm curious. On my 2002 Explorer, the right turn signal and brake light do not work. However, the running light / back-up light does work. I checked the fuses (partially) and the ones I did check turned out okay. Does the right side of the truck have a different fuse than the left side?

When I found a fuse under the hood that seemed to shut off the turn signal(s) and it was okay, I did not go any further.

Just curious to know if you solved the problem.

I checked my Owner's Manual and couldn't find a definitive fuse for the brake lights. Here are the wiring diagrams from my Haynes Manual. Sorry about the size, but if I made them smaller they would be harder to read. Hope this helps out.

ExteriorLightingSystemDiagram.jpg

scan0005-Copy.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006-Copy.jpg

Awesome... you're the best. I thank you again.

No problem. :biggthump
Posted via Mobile Device

On my 2002 Explorer, I have had an intermittent problem that seems to have finally become permanent. My left rear turn signal and left brake light as well as my center brake light don't work. The right side works fine. My left running light works, and the reverse light works. The front left turn signal light works as well, although it flashes at a much higher rate than normal. No, the bulb isn't bad, nor is the socket bad...I swapped the socket with the one on the right, and the problem doesn't move. what wire is common to both the tail light AND the center stoplight? And where is it? Has anyone encountered this problem before? They are both on the same fuse and the fuse is good. I figure it has to be a bad wire or a short, I just can't seem to trace it out.

your problem is the wiring harness that is bolted to the frame every time you move the steering wheel the wires are pulled and eventually come loose. This happened to me this week, Ford does not make the harness anymore and they say it is obsolite, I had no brake lights and the signals would not work when the wheel was in a low position. my mechanic made a new harness and all is well but the wheel must remain in one permenant position, it cost $333.00 at Tire Kingdom, this is a clear design fault with Ford.

2002 rear turn and brake lights

i was having a similar problem with my '02 Explorer. Rear turn signals and brake lights were not working (the marker lights and reverse lights were good) thanks to the "wiring harness" advice, i simply re-adjusted the elevation of the steering column and all lights are working. Not fixed, but definitely diagnosed

Remove the cover bottom and top from your steering column, and check the plug that goes to your hazard light, the plug on top. Sometimes the wires slips off the plug. I came across a problem like this a while back and one of the wire of the plug was disconected. It occur when the steering column was being adjusted all the way down. the wire had no slack and came off the plug. BEFORE ANYTHING DISCONECT THE GROUND TERMINAL FROM THE BATTERY AND WAIT FIFTEEN MINUTES.

The exact thing just happened to me. I bought a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport two Weeks ago. At first the rear and front lights worked fine except the left directional clicked extremely fast. Yesterday i found out that the left rear brake light had stopped working along with the left rear directional. After checking the bulbs and fuse to no avail I searched online for about an hour and came across this forum. Sure enough after taking the steering column cover off there was one blue wire disconnected from the wiring harness. After plugging it back in everything works perfectly........THANK YOU!

this should be in some way, shape or form be stickied...since it seems to be a common problem!

Back