Left turn signal not working..only flashes 3 times | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Left turn signal not working..only flashes 3 times

3Captain

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Well after owning my used '11 for 3 months, I am experiencing my second issue. The first was an airbag warning that cleared itself just by pulling over and shutting the engine off then turning back on (as the manual said to do)

Now, I rode with my wife and thought she was using the change lane feature at stops signs (feeling bad because I sort of snapped at her) I come to find it only flashes 3 times and shuts off no matter what position the lever is moved to.

I have searched and can't find anything on this. I am out of warranty and was hoping it was an easy (cheap) fix. Any help??

Thanks so much! We do love the vehicle though! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming just the lever needs to be replaced. Easy to remove and replace as it is a all in one unit. Just remove the column covers to gain access to the lever.

Well after owning my used '11 for 3 months, I am experiencing my second issue. The first was an airbag warning that cleared itself just by pulling over and shutting the engine off then turning back on (as the manual said to do)

Now, I rode with my wife and thought she was using the change lane feature at stops signs (feeling bad because I sort of snapped at her) I come to find it only flashes 3 times and shuts off no matter what position the lever is moved to.

I have searched and can't find anything on this. I am out of warranty and was hoping it was an easy (cheap) fix. Any help??

Thanks so much! We do love the vehicle though! :)
Welcome to the Forum 3Captain.:wavey:
There have been posts about the turn signal but none with an issue like you have. Many of them had to do with the 2013 model which apparently had a very stiff movement. If you're thinking about taking it (signal switch) apart, the following thread will guide you.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388119&highlight=turn+signal

Good luck but I think you may be visiting the dealer for this one.

Peter

I'm assuming just the lever needs to be replaced. Easy to remove and replace as it is a all in one unit. Just remove the column covers to gain access to the lever.

That's what I was hoping, thinking...... any chance you have a PN or know of best/cheap place to buy? thanks again!

That's what I was hoping, thinking...... any chance you have a PN or know of best/cheap place to buy? thanks again!
www.fordparts.com is a handy site. Not sure how indepth they might get with the signal assembly.
Does the blinker stay on if you hold the lever all the way down or up? If not, I would think it might be more involved.

Peter

www.fordparts.com is a handy site. Not sure how indepth they might get with the signal assembly.
Does the blinker stay on if you hold the lever all the way down or up? If not, I would think it might be more involved.

Peter

Yes, if I hold the lever down (left turn) it will stay on until I release it. Turning right works as it should. I think I found the part on that ford site and on ebay. 33 bucks. Not too bad LOL

I use www.tascaparts.com they are a Ford dealer in CT that ships all over the place. They always seem to have the cheapest price on any parts. You can call or order online.

You really have to push it down (or up) past the detent. Mine was hard but you can do it. I had it replaced and it is buttery smooth now. It was hard for me due to arthritis in my hands and sometimes found it painful when pushing it down but no more!

You really have to push it down (or up) past the detent. Mine was hard but you can do it. I had it replaced and it is buttery smooth now. It was hard for me due to arthritis in my hands and sometimes found it painful when pushing it down but no more!
I don't think that is the issue here. There were no such problems with the 2011 model and this just started happening.

Peter

Thanks everyone!

I guess if the consensus is to replace it, then I will. Looks like a simple and reasonably priced fix. I am so grateful to the members here already! Seems like a great place :) I didn't thank anyone yet for my shark fin mod. It looks great and the wife was happy she didn't have to here the antenna every time she backed out :)

Received my new turn signal the other day and installed it today. Piece of cake and it works like NEW :))))

THanks again everyone. Now I need help with an airbag light thats staying on :(

Received my new turn signal the other day and installed it today. Piece of cake and it works like NEW :))))

Glad it fixed your issue.. when it comes to an airbag light.. I would take it to a dealer. Might be a simple fix but I personally would not want to mess with something that explodes lol.

Probably just a sensor.

As blwnsmoke posted, take it to the dealer. There is also a TSB that may or may not apply;

12-05-11 - INTERMITTENT AIR BAG WARNING INDICATOR - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/5/2012

Peter

Back