Front left turn signal not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front left turn signal not working

jimmch

Reaction score
City, State
Uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
I assumed it would just be a bulb as my rear left signal is still working. However there is no power coming to the socket. This is both with turn signal and hazards.

All of the wiring looks good as far as I can tell.

Could it be the multifunction switch or relay? I’m hesitant to replace them as it seems unlikely if the rear signal is ok.

You might see if you can dig up a 1st gen wiring diagram. What I have is a 2nd gen diagram, and looking at that, there is no *normal* relay, and both front & rear go through the same fuse, same flasher module aka flasher relay, and the same contact in, and wire from the multi-function switch, so if 1st gen is set up the same way, it's not any of those.

The diagram shows the wire from the MFS splitting at some point to go to both the front and rear left turn bulbs. Where I don't know. There is no letter-number designation on the split location to look up. The wire to the front left signal, bulb socket might be bad. You can check this with a multimeter, turn signal on, measure between the positive bulb socket contact, and a chassis ground on the vehicle, not the socket ground contact in case the socket has a bad ground itself.

If you get 12V then you probably have a bad ground. The front and rear use different ground points. If you don't get 12V, then I would check for continuity or very low resistance between the front left turn bulb contact positive, and the (probably still same color) wire on the MFS connector. MFS is the last component in the chain before going to the bulb sockets.

I'll attach that wiring diagram but again this is for 2nd gen... electrically it's probably the same, but wire colors, ground locations/designation #'s, I don't know.

Attachments

• exterior-lights-exterior-lamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 46

Back