Let the fun begin!!!!!! SAS time!!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let the fun begin!!!!!! SAS time!!!!

After blowin up the left front brake rotor some weeks ago I decided to rip it all out and go solid with my daily driver. Don't worry........the portaled 2 gen. is still in the works. Girlfriend is makin me spend money else where.

Alright lets get dirty. The axle is a 6 lug dana 44 from an 81 Waggy. Got it cheap so I figured what the hell and NOTAJP promised he'd help. It rouhgly about 2" wider per side then the TTB and YES it will be leaf sprung. I'll be using Rubicon Express 4.5" lift 6 leaf leafs. M.O.R.E. steering with Chevy knuckles so I can do high-steer/cross-over steering on it. All shafts in it will be alloy with CTM joints with 5.29 gears. Goes to the shop sometime soon to be trussed. I'll be doin the rear in the future too. Half of everything on my list is on back-order so this will be a long project.

Oh and I ordered the tires and rims of choice........39.5x15x20r STSs and American Racing Mojave Bead Lock in a 20x10 size. Yep thats right......20s!!!!! I should be the first with an Explorer with 39s and 20s under it. :) I love bein the first. :p

Well heres a few pics of it as it sits today.

Attachments

• Solidaxleswap 001.jpg
    Solidaxleswap 001.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 706
  • Solidaxleswap 002.jpg
    Solidaxleswap 002.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 694

Man if you don't mind send me a p mail on how much ya paid for that axle. I am in the market for a set of waggy dana 44 so I can up grade and be a lil wider. Thanks man. You ride is going to be the sweetest I have seen or prolly will see.

Sorry for the wait there guy. I've been down and out the last few days. I actually found mine on e-bay and close to me. If memory serves me right I paid something like $125 for mine. It was complete hub to hub with no steering.

For another up-date. Project is on hold for a little while. I blew my knee out playin basketball. As soon as my knee is in workin order and the shackles show up I'll get this axle hung and get a really good idea of the ride hieghth. :thumbsup:

Heres as far as I got the day I screwed my knee up.

If my measurements are right this is what it'll look like with the shackles about the 1/4 of the way extended down. Lookin like its gonna be up there. :)

Attachments

• SASpics 001.jpg
    SASpics 001.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 225
  • SASpics 002.jpg
    SASpics 002.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 199

Your front mounts are backwards in the pic ;). The springs will squat quite a bit with weight on them. Wow, that's some spring! You said you wanted to run 39.5s.

Back