Lets Rock! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lets Rock!

On the same trip up Little White Mountain as the brake hose problem I had another incedent. After continuing to the top of the mountain and sightseeing from there we decided to come back down. At one point of the trail something very strange happened. It was an easy section and I did not expect anything out of the ordinary. As I drove over a big rock with my front tire it tipped the rock up and caught the crossmember. As I continued to move forward the rock lifted my truck right off the ground. I couldn't understand what was happening and since I was fairly close to the edge of the trail and it was a long was down I stopped and called for help over the CB. The conversation went something like this:
"Uhh, guys, I think I need some help back here."
"What's wrong?"
"I'm not quite sure. My tire is in the air and I have no idea why."
These are the pictures that were taken.
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Once we determined that the truck was stable I got out and had a look. We made a ramp with a little rock stacking behind the tire and I was able to back up and have the rock fall away. The damage was a bent crossmember. Not too bad but the bend in the crossmember, because of the reduced clearance, would eventually contribute to the destruction of all three U-joints and the double cardan joint in the front driveshaft.

yeah,

Drive shaft problems suck when you are off-road.
View

Back