• Register Today It's free!

Life of factory shocks?

lmacmil

Reaction score
City, State
South Bend, Ind
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4-dr V-6
Got a '96 which has never been off-road in its 60,000 miles. Shocks seem fine. Just wondering what the typical life is for on-road use only.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen vehicles with the factory shock go over 100K miles, but I wouldn't try to push them that far. On average the life expectency of a shock is between 45K and 65K miles.

Recommended replacement shocks?

OK, it appears my shocks are getting close to the end of their useful like. What's a recommended replacement? Won't be off-roading so primary interest is good ride.

the gabriel vst have been said to be good... or the more expensive edelbroak ias

heh, I replaced the fronts a while back when one blew, but the rear shocks are still stock at 120k. I'm sure they are pretty well shot, but not dead. I've been putting off new shocks for over a year now because I've been planning on a susp lift. That Skyjacker lift will be here soon. I think about it everytime I hit a bump... when will that lift get here!

Hey Chris, are you only runnin a 3inch BL? and your 33"s fit? How much trimming? Im looking to put on bigger rubber on mine and I know 31s will fit w/out rubbing... or at least miinimal rubbing... Id love 33s though.. .and if all it takes is a 3inch lift I may have to look into that... Any comments?
--bryan

akcrogers: I know what you mean. A while back I drove around for a few days with a blown rear shock. Man it was not fun. Like driving a 2 ton pogo stick.

Factory shocks last just long enough to get the vehicle off the lot!! I was very disappointed in the factory ride and I replaced mine at 4000 miles with a set of Gabriel VST's. The difference was night and day. A set of VST's will run you about $80 from Pep Boys and have a lifetime warranty.

Gabriel VSTs

Just returned from an in-town test drive after installing Gabriels (figured I’d make an inexpensive mistake if nothing improved) all around. Handling is much improved but at the cost of a harsher ride. I feel every bump in the road. Makes me wonder how well the rear end will stay glued to the washboard dirt/gravel roads that I drive on in the mountains. I made the decision to change the shocks after Friday's 4-wheeling trip where the backend kept coming loose on the washboards in turns and during braking. :eek: I only had 33,500 on the stock shocks but they were definitely at the end of their optimum performance and it sure was fun working on the X. :D Got a trip to Wisconsin for a couple of weeks so won’t get to try the same roads again with the new shocks until I get back. Maybe if I change the bushings, and … and.... and ..... :D

Maybe i got the record then, 220,000km and factory shocks still on. OK they dont actually feel that good, they been beat on and need to be replaced. Trouble is there's so much rust under there that I'm not that excited to have to break everything just to replace them.

I replaced my factory shocks at 85000... yeah, much too long but I never 4x4ed before replacing and never really thought much of the ride. However, since the Rancho RS5000s were put on, the difference is incredible.

Ranchos

I was just curious if you've used the Ranchos off-road. I don't do much serious fender grinding off-road, but I do quite a bit of trail running. I was thinking about the adjustable ranchos since the majority of my driving is still highway. I has Michelin LTX LT tires for the toughness, but they are somewhat harsh on-road. Great off road though. :exp:

I have as recently as yesterday. However, off-roading (for me) is done at 15MPH or less, so it's hard to tell how well they dampen the knocks in the trails... at that speed, I feel everything because the car flexes so much. I have not had the chance to trail-ride at high speeds just because most of the trails I use wouldn't permit it without rolling or crashing.

However, as with any shock that is meant for some off-road, the on-road ride is stiff. I don't mind it, but everyone else seems to. Wusses. :D The RS9000s should fix the harsh ride with their adjustability, but I have no experience with them, so I cannot say. I'm sure a search of "RS9000" would bring up a few testimonials.

I just insalled 4 Gabriel VST shocks on my X this past weekend replacing the factory shocks. The rig is just about to roll over 70,000 miles. Its a 2wd and never sees off road so I figured from my research on this site the Gabriels would be great.

I ended up putting Gabriel Pro Ryders in the rear and Gabriel LT's in the front. Im no mechanic but the guy at Autozone said that I should be fine with different shocks in front and rear. They didnt have 4 of one kind in stock and neither did any Pepboys or Autozone close to me.

Well what a difference. I dont get rocked from side to side and my head no longer hits the side window when I go over a speed bump on an angle. Im very impressed. Nose dive when braking is reduced and so is road noise. The reflectors on the highway used to sound so loud but they are just a quiet bump.

And for about $20 each and a life time warrenty you cant loose on the Gabriel VST shocks. I installed myself in about 1 hour.

Shock replacement

Hey Curtis, did you use an impact wrench on the nuts or just hand tools? Any tips? I haven't done my own shocks in a long time.

I used hand tools. The only impact was my knuckles against metal when the nut finally broke loose. :p

Hey lmacmil,

DocVijay is right, had tools are all you need. I'll add a description of replacing / installing shocks incase there are any others wondering how to do it. Its not a hard job.

The rear shocks have one large bolt on the bottom (perpendicular to the shock) and 2 small bolts on top. The front have one large bolt on top (straight down on top) and 2 smaller ones on bottom. Just ordinary sockets and wrenches are all you will need. I'm in a southern state so there was no rust to deal with. But just the basic tools should do.

For the rear you will have to drop the spare tire and remove it to get easier access to the top of the shock. I let go the top smaller bolts first. The drivers side is a little hard to get to because of some "thing". Not sure what it is but there were rubber hoses coming out of it. I was able to reach in over this to get the drivers side top bolts out. Then I let go the bottom bolt and the shock falls right out.

For the front, the top bolt is probably easiest to access through the hood on each side of the motor. If I remember correctly its a 9/16 deep socket. You will need a good extension on the ratchet to reach it too. One thing I discovered is that when trying to loosen this bolt the whole shock rotates. I had a friend try to hold it while I turned the ratchet but he couldn't hold it. So then we discovered there is a nut welded on to the top of the sock. Using a 9/16 wrench through the wheel well we could hold the shock and loosen the top bolt.

The new shocks come with a strap that keeps them compressed. For the rear I left this strap on and first bolted the shock on the bottom. Then I got one of the smaller bolts ready, cut the strap and guided the shock into the right place. The new shocks wont expand that fast. The shock will then hold its self in place to put in the other smaller bolt and tighten everything.

I did the same for the front (leaving the strap on the new shock) but put the top bolt on first. Again using the wrench through the wheel well to hold it so I could tighten the top bolt. Then cut the strap and guide the shock into place and add the two smaller bolts on bottom.

And that's it.. I didn't take the wheels off or jack any part of the truck up.

Oh, one thing more. My X is a 2wd. If yours is a 4wd I think your front shocks will me much more difficult because I think the shocks are inside the coil springs. The rear ones will be the same. My father has a 91' 4wd and the front shocks are inside the coils. I'm not 100% sure if the 96' kept the coil over shocks. Just a heads up...

Back