What shocks to get | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What shocks to get

JasonF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4x4 4.0
I have searched a lot of the old posts and have some ideas about shocks. But, I still can't decide what to get. My 96 has 105k miles on it on the stock shocks. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for new shocks because I don't know what the lifespan of this vehicle is going to be. I think this puts Edelbrock Bilstein, and Rancho 9000 a bit out of my reach. Right now I am getting seasick with the body rock from my worn out stockers! I don't off road more than the occasional dirt road. I want to feel fewer bumps in the road than I do right now, but still handle well. I have been looking at the Monroe Reflex for about $40 each, or cheaping out and going with the Gabriel's that most people seem to like. I am also open to any other suggestions in this price range. Thanks

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say go with the Gabriel VSTs, you should enjoy them. And for $15-20 a shock, you can't really go wrong ;)

Gabriel VST's

I am very new to the forum so what I am saying here may be old news but here goes.

I put these on my XLT 2 years ago, about 18,000 miles later and I have to say I am disappointed. They have all rusted like crazy. No leakage yet, but its only a matter of time judging by the rust. What bums me out the most is that the truck is in excellent condition but those rusty shocks just kill the perceived value.

The ride is not as good as when they were installed. After 2 years and low milage (all highway) they should have done better.

93 XLT with 119,000 miles (a trooper!)
2002 GTI 1.8T (in shop more than I would like)
1991 BMW K100RSA (my personal favorite)

you get what you pay for.

you get what you pay for

That true. I guess it depends on what you do. I think bilstien's are very good shock for a good price better then procomp and rancho i know that and some other's but like it was said you get what you pay for and what do you do off road just for the street you jump ? some thing to considerd.

Delfino Gabriel Mendez

JasonF
Did you buy shocks yet? Keep us updated.
(this thread is a few wks old)
Rob

I love my Edelbrocks, and my mom just bought a set for her Mounty even though it only has 30,000 miles on it.

There awsome shocks, but it doesn't look like you want to spend that much. She paid about $80 a shock last year for mine and $30 to install, and she got her set for about $75 a shock and $30 to intall.

Yep, I just got my shocks. I thought about it for a while and decided that I heard too many mixed reviews on the Gabriels to get those. Seems they work great at first but wear out quickly. So instead I got the Monroe Reflex for the front and back. Came to $155 delivered for all four. This was from partsauthority.com. I just got home from school for thanksgiving and took a look at them tonight. The rears have bands on them and the fronts don't. I will be installing them this week. Pray that the stock shocks come off easy and I don't shear any bolts! I'll hit them with liquid wrench a few times in advance to hopefully loosen them up some. I will keep you guys posted.

Jason

Alright, they are installed! Im going to start a new thread "How to install new shocks" so people will be able to find it easier when searching. Check it out, I have pics!

JasonF

Originally posted by JasonF
Alright, they are installed! Im going to start a new thread "How to install new shocks" so people will be able to find it easier when searching. Check it out, I have pics!

JasonF
Sorry pal, Hartman has you beat. He posted a full writeup a couple days ago.

My gabriels lasted about 20K. They suck now. I bounce on the highway. Can't wait to get the Edelbrocks.

Back