• Register Today It's free!

Lift for a 99 Explr XLT

99ExplorerAK

Reaction score
City, State
Kodiak, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I need to get a lift kit for my explorer. Its a 99 XLT 4 door. What is the best lift? Looking for around 3' to 5' lift kits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much do you want to spend?

Price? Not a real big deal. I'm stationed in AK and the military is paying me out the butt. But 2,000 sounds good.

Well, you can do a TT(tortion twist), shackles and a bodylift. That will give you(tt=2" bl=2-3") 4-5" of lift. That would probably fit 33" tires. Or you could go with a suspension lift(superlift) and thats 4".
The TT is free, the shackles are 50$ and the BL is 150-200$ I believe. Or you could get the superlift kit, and thats like 2k. Plus you will need bigger tires, and may need to re-gear depending on your current ratio.

Ok, I aint no rocket scientist or nothin but I know basic stuff. Which would be easier?

Putting on a suspension lift on an IFS truck is a helluva job. Not something for a basic mechanic, you need an understanding of suspension geometry. It'll probably involve some fabbing too, nothing ever just bolts right up. The TT/shackles are easy, the BL isn't bad, but the suspension lift is the hardest by far. Its also the best way to lift it, which is why it costs so much.

If your 99 X has the Auto 4 wheel drive like mine does I would not recomend the TT. The CV joint made a very loud thumping under Wide open trottle and this was with the rig only lifted 1.5" over stock. I would go with the Superlift or the body lift.

Doing the torsion twist shouldn't affect your CV axles that much unless it was more than 2". The CV axles are capable of handling the angle that the CV's are at at 2" over stock. Lots of members have done the TT/Shackles without any problems related to it.

I'm going to be doing a TT/War153 and I don't expect any problems... or should I?

Hey I am not trying to start a argument. I am just stating what happened with my X after the tt. I would never do it to a x with auto 4 wheel drive. Am I saying that it will not work for you, no. You can always test it first. Give them a crank and drive it around. If you have no problems get the shackles or a AAL.

Are you sure it was your CV that were producing the sound? Check your hub assembly.. I just realized earlier this week that mine are shot.. They were humming on the highway also.

To me it sounds like the CV joints. When You start getting extreme angles on your CV joints or drive shafts they make that fimilar clunk clunk clunk.... noise (many of lowriders and lifted trucks later I learned of this). It does not clunk now so I will leave it alone untill I can talk the wife into the superlift. :cool:

I word to the wise

TT and shakle lifts are the cheap way....you get what you pay for, worn CV joints and replaced hubs, new axel seals...etc.

One alternative is a bodylift(3"), major pain, but and inexpensive non destructive lift.

The best lift out there right now for your truck is the Superlift kit(4"). They have engineered the best possible parts list for correct suspension geometry and least amount of stress on components. In my opinion, Trailmaster's kit is inferior in engineering.

As for install, someone said it already, nothing just bolts right up. You will have to cut one of the frame members to allow clearence for the lowering of the front diff, for example.

Expect to buy a double cardon front drive shaft, if you decide to use the stock shaft, expect to buy a new front axel(dana30 I believe) in a few thousand miles.

Research the kits, this is not something you want to just jump into real quick.

Good luck,
Matthew

Since the Superlift costs so much, if I could do it over, I would get a SAS. IMO.

Back