Lift gate glass opening while driving? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift gate glass opening while driving?

apmiller

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Hi, I recently just bought an '07 Ford explorer eddie bauer... So far these are my problems: When I'm driving the liftgate glass randomly opens, it beeps and lets me know before it does it. I found locking the doors will hold it for a lil bit, but now when I lock the doors from the inside they immediately unlock. I feel like I'm fighting this thing and it's frustrating. I can drive it for a while and it wont happen or it happens in frequent intervals.. Also the seal around the liftgate glass is loose and hanging at the top, I discovered this when I took the truck through a carwash and water poured in. I can push it up into place and it won't leak, wondering what I could do to seal this back together though? Last problem that arose, is in the morning when I start the car it squeals a lil bit, sounds like its coming from right under the driver side area. Squeals when I accelerate, but after a while it stops, and I wont have this problem all day. Any advice, or knowledge? I plan to take it to the dealer as it's under warranty and I'm pissed. I'd like some insight before hand. Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All that I can say is that you need to contact the sales rep that sold you the vehicle and let him know of all the issues if you just got this vehicle in the last week or so. The vehicle should have been prepped properly and all issues taken care of before you took delivery of it especially something like the squealing upon start which sounds like your serpentine belt is slipping for some reason. I am also wondering if there is some issue with the key fob and I would try driving around without it to see if it is the problem. As far as the seal on the rear, it sounds like it is not seated in place correctly and a trim piece may be keeping it from where it needs to be.

Its the "auto venting" feature lol
but to me it sounds like a short with the latch in the back or maybe your remote button for the latch is stuck or shorting. one thing you can try it leave the remote at home and just drive around with the key. if it doesnt happen then the remote is ok and now its something else.

Under warranty i would definately go back to the dealer, it can be a hassle but better than d.i.y.

Hi, I recently just bought an '07 Ford explorer eddie bauer... So far these are my problems: When I'm driving the liftgate glass randomly opens, it beeps and lets me know before it does it. I found locking the doors will hold it for a lil bit, but now when I lock the doors from the inside they immediately unlock. I feel like I'm fighting this thing and it's frustrating. I can drive it for a while and it wont happen or it happens in frequent intervals.. Also the seal around the liftgate glass is loose and hanging at the top, I discovered this when I took the truck through a carwash and water poured in. I can push it up into place and it won't leak, wondering what I could do to seal this back together though? Last problem that arose, is in the morning when I start the car it squeals a lil bit, sounds like its coming from right under the driver side area. Squeals when I accelerate, but after a while it stops, and I wont have this problem all day. Any advice, or knowledge? I plan to take it to the dealer as it's under warranty and I'm pissed. I'd like some insight before hand. Thanks for your time.

What kind of warranty did you get on a 7 year old vehicle? 30 day dealer, or did you purchase an extended 3rd party warranty? Those extended warranties are usually for power and drive trains only.

3 month warranty came with it, I'm paying extra a month for a warranty that I believe covers anything for the next 2 years. At least that's how they explained it to me.

I'll try driving around without the key fob, it looks beat up honestly... that may be the resolution.

3 month warranty came with it, I'm paying extra a month for a warranty that I believe covers anything for the next 2 years. At least that's how they explained it to me.

Have them explain that to you carefully. Usually it only covers the powertrain items like motor, transmission, 4x4, etc.

I was having same issue with 2007 explorer, I cleaned and lubricated the latch.

Do it yourself

Buy WD 40 and small cleaning brush, open the lift gate spray WD 40 and clean the lift gate lock with brush. That's it for 5 to 6 months it will not open after 6 moths do it again.

Also tape the striker attached with lift gate glass.

If lift gate glass doesn't open itself for a month after cleaning and lubricating, post your reply so all others facing same issue could do the same.

I tried the WD 40 before you mentioned it and it's been holding out. so yes that has fixed that problem for me.

Back